Reporting litter dropped from vehicles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just looked at the act on here section 87 is on page 11. and paraphrasing a bit;

Where a person is given a notice under this section in respect of an offence&#8212; <snip>
(b) he shall not be convicted of that offence if he pays the fixed penalty before the expiration of that period.

and

The fixed penalty payable to a litter authority in pursuance of a notice under this section shall, subject to subsection (7) below, be &#163;10

and an &#8220;authorised officer&#8221; means an officer of, or in the case of any Park board or National Park Committee, an officer acting on behalf of, a litter authority who is authorised in writing by the authority for the purpose of issuing notices under this section.

So basically park wardens and some litter authority bods, not general county or regional council employees just those specifically concerned with litter.

cheers,

Alan

Litter authority is distrcit or metropolitan council - it is normally Environmental Health that enforce this legislation, but some wardens etc are authorised as well by env. health.

That's interesting. A few years ago my car was hit by a cigarette box that was dumped out of the driver's window of the car in front. I'd recently read a report about a council solicitor successfully prosecuting someone who he'd seen dropping litter so I rang the council, they told me they couldn't do anything and to ring the police, which I did, but they didn't seem particularly interested.

Geoff

Following the Clean Neighbourhood and Environments Act district/met councils are now responsible for this - it used to be Police and/or council (wet nmore powees the police have off loaded). Police and PCSO can still issue an FNP though.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
it doesnt say they prosecute just they are gathering date of how many littering offenses there are.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
tidy Britain do not prosecute.

If you pass the details on to the council (env ealth normally) the may issue a fix penalty notice - failure to pay this can lead to prosecution.

Please be aware though if you do report littering you may well have to fill in a witness statement that can be used in court. You'd suprise how many people admit their guilt and pay up.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I’m sorry but this is not a good thing, it’s just a new way of ruining the life of some random person whom you have a grudge against. Report them for dropping litter, you have no proof and they have no defence.

I see where you're coming from but I disagree - I would hope more people would think twice about chucking stuff out of car windows. Frankly, this would be the same as reporting someone for fly-tipping.

In Australia, my sister-in-law works for the Environment Agency. In the summer months, because of the fire hazard, she is legally entitled to report directly to the police when people throw cigarette butts from cars. That person will be prosecuted.

OK, I accept there is a slight chance that someone may abuse their position but that could be said about anyone in a position of authority (MPs expenses and tax claims, anyone?).

I think it's a brilliant idea because every smoker I know - without exception - thinks it is fine to throw cigarette butts on the floor, whether it be from a car or not. Butts are litter - why can't smokers understand this?

Basically, if the public will not stop littering under current legislation, I say we should hammer them and get the message across that the next sweet wrapper you throw out of the car window is going to cost you £75, even if the police aren't there. It needs to become socially unacceptable, like drink-driving and not wearing seatbelts.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup, the car owner is to blame, even if someone else did it.

What about doing something about fly tipping, which is a problem in rural areas, even places like mine where there is a most excelent waste disposal facility?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I don't see how the offence merits a different penalty depending on how the rubbish is transported. Litter is litter and the penalty should be identical for litter by a pedestrian or motorist.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Personally I don't see how the offence merits a different penalty depending on how the rubbish is transported. Litter is litter and the penalty should be identical for litter by a pedestrian or motorist.

Here,here.

I personally think that flogging should be brought back specifically for the offence.:cool:

Or transportation to the colonies.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland

i used to use one too, that's before I stopped smoking of course!

The one day that I forgot it and had a smoke outside work I went to stub it out and put it in the public bin only to discover that the council had removed it when they were doing some improvement to the area (it's still not back actually - will have to get onto them about it), in my stupidity and going against all previous actions and beliefs I lobbed my fag end down a drain. Didn't have time to feel too guilty about it as I was spotted by two Council undercover litter spotters (well as undercover as you can be in a high viz jacket).

£50 fine and plenty of guilt I am now back to my responsible litter disposable ways. See it does work :).

£50 for a smoke is the most expensive cigarette ive ever had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE