Replacement axe handle

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
could anyone point me in the right direction of where to buy a replacement handle for my small forest axe as its developed a hair line crack in the handle just below the head.

cheers Russ :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Russ,

Any GB stockist worth their salt will get you one from GB. If its a flaw in the handle (not caused by hitting the helve when splitting) GB will probably replace it gratis - just mai them a picture

Red

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Russ,

Any GB stockist worth their salt will get you one from GB. If its a flaw in the handle (not caused by hitting the helve when splitting) GB will probably replace it gratis - just mai them a picture

Red

Ive emailed GB and they said I should replace the handle for safety's sake and they didnt offer to replace it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shame - aah well - they're still a lot cheaper than a new axe - I'd ask Rob at Wilderness 121 if he can get one for you Russ - he's been very good on orders for me

Red

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Its had the crack for years so im tempted to keep using it , i can never make up my mind if its a deep scratch of a split.
It seem a shame to try and replace it when it seem solid enough (famous last words)
I once took down large two 30 foot scots pine with it and it didnt open up not even a little.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
any chance of a good picture of the crack/scratch? It may not be in a dangerous place so not under any real stress. If it's not dodgy then leave it, especially if it's been there fore a long time ;)

My dad had an 18lb sledge hammer that had a crack in he handle about 16" down from the head. We managed to drive in nearly 60 fence posts (3" diameter to a depth of 18" in heavy clay) before the handle gave up. If we had gone and changed the handle it would've wasted an extra day and all the fiddling about getting one off and the other on. After it broke we had a well earneed rest while changing it :)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
P1070001.jpg

Try that

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats an object lesson in why grain orientation in a handle matters!

Is it apparent on both sides Russ?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whack a bit of epoxy in if it opens any more and forget it unless it widens in my view. Just looks like a bit of open grain more than anything. If the head is tight and its not opening it doesn't seem much tbh

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Whack a bit of epoxy in if it opens any more and forget it unless it widens in my view. Just looks like a bit of open grain more than anything. If the head is tight and its not opening it doesn't seem much tbh

I that don't work try some gaffa tape and a couple of lolly sticks!! :D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE