Repairing/sewing ventile

S

Selous

Hi,

I have a DPM smock style double layer ventile jacket. I have torn the thread holding the flap that goes over one of the waist pockets. Just an inch or so is torn away. It's the stitching that's torn. The fabric itself is still intact.

Any advice on repairing it?

Seems to me I simply need a fine needle and some cotton thread, but I'm very conscious that I am stitching an unusual material. Are there any special tricks?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Richard

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Ventile is just very tightly woven cotton, so I'd assume a fine needle and cotton thread would be fine, but I'm going by the info I've read here on previous threads.

So perhaps it might be best to wait on someone with more hands on experience.

Andy

S

Selous

Thanks, I have to say that's the way I was thinking but I'd be grateful for some informed comments before I put knife to skin!!

Regards

Richard

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Try contacting the manufacturer (Talbot weaving ?) - I know someone who was making a ventile smock and got lots of advice on how to sew it (Polyester thread and a heavy gauge needle IIRC) they even sent a little "ventile" name tab to sew into a side seam :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally, I use a core spun poly cotton thread.
The cotton is spun around a poly core giving you the strength of poly but as the cotton outer swells with the wet it helps block the stitch holes - just like the Ventile does - and helps keep the fabric working as it should.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Sounds good John, will need to remember that for if I ever need to repair my own Ventile. You have any suppliers, or brand recommendations?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry mate - cant find a label on the big box of thread I have had for a while now (enough to last a lifetime now I am no longer making so much gear [though if plans fall into place I may need it all and more and have to find a suplier myself! - more on this if my plans pan out!])
Check you local sewing shop or Pointnorth/Pennine Outdoor.
Just looked at the sites myself - it could be the Koban75 from Pennine outdoor fabrics that I have.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Cheers John, thankfully my Ventile is still in good nick (for now) but I'm sure Selous can put that info to good use in the meantime. Good luck with your plans, hope to hear more when the time comes. :D

S

Selous

Thanks for all your comments. I must say, I'm taken by the idea of core spun poly cotton, John. I'll look out for that.

Thanks again.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE