Repairing a thermarest- help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Hi guys,

Spiked my thermarest (Millets own Eurohike version) a few trips out ago. So I have tried to patch it with tape, rubber tyre patchets etc, etc, nothing works or will grip to the surface, tried sanding (very lightly). In fact tried all the tricks I know from bicycles and mbike inner tubes.. no dice.:bluThinki

The surface looks like its bonded to a ripstop fabric, possibly silcone coated. Your thoughts would be appreciated, I would hate to bin the thing when it could be repaired.:(

Sandsnakes

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Thermarest produce repair kits that contain a couple of spare patches and more importantly a small tube of SEAMGRIP. Most retailers of Thermarests should stock these inexpensive kits.
A small pinhole puncture can be remedied by application of Seamgrip alone, larger holes need the patches, instructions are included.
Other silicone based gum/glue products are available as well.
Happy trails...torc.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
This deffo works, as ive used it on my Thermarest.

Small sticky backed nylon, ( any camping shop ), Seamgrip rubbed over hole on mat, nylon patch onto seamgrip and then a final layer over the patch. Works really well and is flexible.

Paul.

Seamgrip can also be applied in strips all over the mat to prevent you slipping off when lying on a slope.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I to have the Eurohike version. When i was speaking to the guy in the shop about the differences and if the extra £50 is worth it he basically said it was the differences in construction that made them different.

Thermarests can be fixed because they are constructed to last and be fixed. Eurohikes are basically a bag inside a ripstop rectangular sack so if u puncture the bag the air will get out no matter what because the repair kits repair the sack and not the internal bag.

Hope that makes sense?

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
i managed to get a hole in my thermarest sit mat the other weekend. I was planning on using a bicycle puncture repair kit on it. Can any one think of a good reason not to?

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Rod, I just bought a Thermarest repair kit. You can grab a patch the next time we meet up or I can post the kit to you after I've finished repairing mine.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I have a thermarest that I have owned for about 20 years now. I have always repared it by buying some decent seam sealant/glue for the repair. To repair the hole I first squeez out all the air and apply a large blob to the area, this has the effect of sucking a little of the glue into the hole as the air enters through the hole. I then open the valve after a small amount of glue has been sucked in, allow it to dry for 24 hrs and then apply another blob on the outside of the area again.

Works well for me.

regards

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Anyone tried one of these new thermarests that are not self inflating? I hear they are warm and comfy but that they may not be not so puncture resistant.

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
Sandsnakes

If you PM me your address, I can send you some seamgrip and a patch from a Exped repair kit.

Eskimo

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Thanks Eskimo,

got multipule tubes in the post! Owe you a beer when I see you though for the offer.

Aaaahhh yes, offer for beer now closed, dont any of you others try for a freebie!:lmao:

Sandsnakes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE