Removing baked on tar from your billy cans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Since I don't stack them, for my over burning wood kettle and copper frying pan (they are tinned so even if I had nesting sized pans they couldn't go in each other bare) I simply made thick linen sacks to fit them in and leave the residue on the outside of the pans. If the tar starts to come though ill just chuck the bags in the washer. Saves the extra work.

ATB

Tom

It ain't how hard you work it is how smart you work, I like it. :cool:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My woodgas stove leaves a thick sticky residue of tar on my cooking pots. No amount of scrubbing will remove it. And it has a tendency to mark anything it touches.

What scourer were you using MM?

I use a ss pot scourer I bought from Tescos ages ago and I don't have any problem removing the tar and soot from my pots. I find brillo pads aren't much use on them so moved over to the ss scourer.

Give you an example these are my pots from the weekend after a weekend of being used over a fire with birch logs. The kettle especially was thick with tar and it was baked on solid as it was pretty much in constant use morning and evening.

Little bit of hard scrubbing with the scourer in the picture in hot water and liberal amount of washing up liquid on and they came up like this

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What scourer were you using MM?

I use a ss pot scourer I bought from Tescos ages ago and I don't have any problem removing the tar and soot from my pots. I find brillo pads aren't much use on them so moved over to the ss scourer.

Give you an example these are my pots from the weekend after a weekend of being used over a fire with birch logs. The kettle especially was thick with tar and it was baked on solid as it was pretty much in constant use morning and evening.

Little bit of hard scrubbing with the scourer in the picture in hot water and liberal amount of washing up liquid on and they came up like this

It was a scotch pad - but try the ethanol - literally no scrubbing required. leave it for a 5 second dip then wipe off with a paper towel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE