Relevant First Aid Training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm hoping to be able to find a bona fide first aid trainer/provider to train a small number of volunteers(4) The package must include assesment's, first aid at work or equivalent certification and must also be done on site.

What I dont want to have to do, is trail into Newcastle, or any other city or town and then sit there for 4 days not really learning much that is relevant to working in a woodland/outdoor environment.

I have attended countless first aid courses over the past 25 years and in all that time, the only ones that were of any real practical value were either military or the two run on site, in the working environment. This allowed the instructors to tailor their lesson plans to cover not just the normal everyday first aid but to include information on specific hazards and how to deal with them. The two courses in question were my first and second civilian courses and were run by the factory Nursing Sister and the local doctor, so both were fully familiar with the working environment and the sort of horrendous injuries that were quite common at the time.
The subsequent courses I attended were progressively less relevant, less informative and a bit stale.

Anyway; what I'm after is a provider to come to us,thereby minimising carbon footprint, tell us what we need to know, how to look after casualties in our particular setting and put it all across in an up beat but easy to understand fashion.

Any ideas or contacts?

Kind regards
R.B.

Hi There, forgive the intrusion into the thread by a newbie, but you may have some luck with first aid training by getting in touch with your local Mountain Rescue/Search and Rescue team. and talking to their team medic. I only know this as I am a member of the North East Wales SAR team and have newly qualified in CasCare with the team. The syllabus on our course was quite comprehensive and was pitched between ordinary First Aid and Intermediate, we even got to do intramuscular injections(practised on each other, ouch!)

Hope this helps

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Rancid, I did a course with Bison bushcraft earlier this year for wilderness first aid training... it was very relevant and the certificate can be used for mountain leader qualifications. The course was scenario after scenario and very hands on... after each scenario we took stock of what was done, what could have been done and what, if anything, was used.

The course not only made me more confident but also enabled me to formulate a proper first aid kit with items I know how to use and when, not just what your average first aid kit comes with.

I doubt they would come to you though... maybe drop him an e-mail.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Code:
Have a look at the PYB courses on First Aid.

If you are any way involved in the D of E programme they may even give you a discount.

It is the National Mountain Centre and their courses are some of the best in the country.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE