Reindeer coffee pouches - how do they work?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've seen coffee pouched made out of naturally tanned reindeer leather where the wood based tanning agent imparts its water absorbing properties onto the leather. Well that's the blurb you see about it but how does it all work and does it really work?

To my mind these are leather, drawstring pouches which are effectively open to the atmosphere. If you have instant coffee or even proper coffee it will absorb atmospheric moisture. A jar or sealed sachet of instant coffee is better and the plastic is light.

I guess I like the idea of the pouches but feel they are a clinging on to the past a little bit. Nothing wrong with that if they work. I can see a pouch is useful to contain small bits of something but coffee or other items that moisture in the air could cause to spoil... well I have my doubts which is why I am asking you people if you can let me know how and if they work?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have had a couple of bought reindeer, cow and random sofa leather pouches, non of them have kept the water out of coffee or sugar so i just put a zip lock bag inside, I have had the zip lock bag get ripped or pricked a few time when used by them selves too, so the leather pouch serves as a protection for the bag which them protects against moisture.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Most people who I've seen using leather pouches, reindeer or otherwise use zip lock bags inside the pouch.

I seem to recollect RM doing a bannock where where got his flour out of a leather pouch, but you could also see the zip lock bag :rolleyes:

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I am probably wrong but, I thought these pouches were originally for roasted beans that you would then grind and make coffee with.

The beans are a little more moisture resistant and, to be honest, roughly grinding of beans can be done with a stone or axe back, we are talking about "rustic" coffee after all, not Starbucks!

Instant or pre-ground coffee without ye olde zippe locke simply isnt usable.

atb
Dave

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I am probably wrong but, I thought these pouches were originally for roasted beans that you would then grind and make coffee with.

The beans are a little more moisture resistant and, to be honest, roughly grinding of beans can be done with a stone or axe back, we are talking about "rustic" coffee after all, not Starbucks!

Instant or pre-ground coffee without ye olde zippe locke simply isnt usable.

atb
Dave

I suspect you are almost right.... The voyagers of old would have transported green beans and roasted in the skillet at need... Green beans last an awful long time.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
I think the bags would work a lot better if you were using traditional tanned and smoked hides for the bags.

Last edited:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I have used a bark tanned reindeer hide coffee pouch for years with no moisture problem. Not that it hasn`t been used in moist weather, but I haven`t encountered the problem. I usually carry it in my rucks side pocket for easy access.
I never use it to carry instant coffee though.

About its waterproof abilities; I do not know really. It is "splash proof" but I have never tried to submerge it in water to see if the leather really is waterproof.
I have never treated the leather with anything, but over the years the pouch has developed a dark, almost oily apperance (it was very light in color when I bought it, with a heavy bark smell).

I don`t have a problem with the coffee getting spoiled either.
Wether it is due to the fact that I drink it up too fast to spoil or my taste buds don`t notice the difference could be questioned:).

Hope this was of help.

Tor

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm wondering about real coffee now. I admit to taking Kenco 3 in 1 sachets with me as I really just want warm and wet on a trip. Its the warm nature of the drink tht gives the "aaah!" feeling. However looked at the LB website after getting the mailshot today and they do an aeropress coffee thingy. That might make me go that way. I do reckon real ground coffee is better if you use one of these pouches without a plastic bag in them. Personally if I'm using a plastic bag anyway I'd not use the reindeer pouch as its extra weight and bulk (more of an issue right now is bulk for me).

The only thing is Lakeland Bushcraft don't often put down weights for things like the Aeropress that they sell. IMHO every outdoor or Bushcraft website should give weights for everything they sell. Although that is quite some work to weigh everything. Its just that as a backpacker (even before a bushcrafter) I am all about less is more as far as weight goes. I am willing to carry weight in exchange for a tangible benefit but the french press system must still be on the right side of this weight/benefit equation hence I'm curious to know what the aeropress thingy weighs.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
From the Lakeland Bushcraft site I read that their reindeer coffee pouches are tnned with wood based, natural tanning agents so I'd expect an almost woody smell from them. They do sound really tactile bits of kit to me. I'm not the sort to use one but the idea of one is good. More likely to see me with a synthetic pocket attached to my rucksack shoulder strap or waist belt. Something like the OMM Trio chest pocket thingy than a leather pouch on my belt or in my sack, but the idea of a natural pouch or pocket is appealing still.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The only thing is Lakeland Bushcraft don't often put down weights for things like the Aeropress that they sell. IMHO every outdoor or Bushcraft website should give weights for everything they sell. Although that is quite some work to weigh everything. Its just that as a backpacker (even before a bushcrafter) I am all about less is more as far as weight goes. I am willing to carry weight in exchange for a tangible benefit but the french press system must still be on the right side of this weight/benefit equation hence I'm curious to know what the aeropress thingy weighs.

Weight doesn't really factor in bushcraft that much Paul, hence the iron mongery cookware a lot of folk use. I'm with you on the backpacking but it doesn't feature heavily in these circles.
A couple weekends ago in the Lakes I carried 7.5kg all in, next weekend canoeing in Scotland I'll carry more than that with just my sharps alone :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With the leather pouches I make, use (and sell) I use a plain poly bag as a liner (with a clip closure) for anything water damageable (coffee, sugar, flour) and without a liner for "safe" items ...basically the leather is there as a tactile, atractive, trad stylee stuff sack that will contain and protect the contents from damage - including the polybag liners :)

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
They only work with this stuff.
emoticon-00105-wink.gif

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
According to vintage Finnish camping literature, flours should be always kept in cloth and coffee in leather pouches. Sugar, salt and butter is kept in wood (or bark) containers. Only thing that you can keep "free" in backpack is dried meat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE