Reincarnation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Martyn said:
We mark significant events in our lives with ceremonies, unexplained bad things happen to us and we fear pain, suffering and death. Religion ...any religion, brings some meaning and comfort where there is otherwise none. But the harshness and cruelty of life, does not require the existance of a god. The explanation is simple, life is harsh and cruel.

Taoists and Tibeten Buddist do not fear death, some of them even look forward to it for they do believe in reincarnation and only through death can they accend to the next level and be closer to their goal of enlightenment. That's not to say that they are right or anything (I wouldn't presume to know that much about anything lol) but it seems that they get the same feeling of peace and comfort that you get through not believing by believing.....funny old world isn't it :)

I agree that the harshness and cruelty of life does not require the existance of a god but I dispute that life is harsh and cruel per say but rather that it can be (earthquakes, storms, floods, drought etc) but isn't always. I think we humans have rather a lot to answer for in making life harsher and far more cruel than it ever needs to be.....I've seen a lot of fairly horrid things on my travels and although some where caused by nature....rather many more were caused by man's own greed, ego, politics, religion and just down right nastiness.

Still.....best not to dwell on what you can't change, all you can do is be as nice as you can be and rest easy knowing you're doing your best to be a good person. :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow!
Can someone who is so scientific explain string theory to me - or quasars - or how science can prove that things CAN be in two places at once - or even explain how gravity realy works...... or are those who say that they will only take scientific proof, disregarding "non scientific" belives just ...taking it all on faith? Beliving the word of those who say they know the answers and have their proof seems pretty much the same whether you call those who spread the word "Priest" or "scientist".
Personally I belive those things I have MY proof of - scietific or not - and respect the views of others but take them with a pinch of salt until I have my proof!
Science once held that the earth was flat and the centre of the universe and anyone who said different was a loony. Those who had proof that this view was wrong evenually educated the masses - my proof was flying half way around the globe. Until then I could not proove the argument.
Re incarnation - don't Dis it until you can prove otherwise!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
John Fenna said:
Wow!
Can someone who is so scientific explain string theory to me - or quasars - or how science can prove that things CAN be in two places at once - or even explain how gravity realy works......

I dont know how the internal combustion engine works either John, but I'm fairly sure my car isn't powered by god. ;)

The problem with attributing everything you cant explain to a deity, is that when science finally does explain it, it makes bunkum of the previously held belief system.

I do believe absolutely everything has a scientific explanation. I do know with absolute certainty, that just because our science cant explain something yet, doesnt mean an explanation doesnt exist, or that the explanation must be god.

I do agree with you in regard to each to his own, and I do try to respect others beliefs. It's just sometimes very difficult to express my personal belief that humans are just another branch of the evolutionary tree, animals, nothing more than clever apes, or that I do not beieve in god, reincarnation, ghosts, an afterlife or a soul without offending or blaspheming those who think differently. Historically, it is the atheist who has been persecuted, tortured and burned for their beliefs. Generally, atheism is far more respectful and tolerant of religions than religions are of atheism.

On the other hand, aliens from outer space - now that is probable. ;) :D

Reactions: Wayland and Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - I don't belive in a Deity either, my interpretation of re-incarnation has nothing to do with a "God" , and is outside all mainstream "belife systems" and I think you will find Budists do not belive in a god as such either.
Perhaps one day the all knowing scientists will find a sientific explaination for what I understand as the "Fact" of multiple lives.
Just like they did for a speroid Earth.....
However - this is hardly Bushcraft and I DO want to maximize the enjoyment I get from THIS existance, so I will save my time on the site for bushy things, stop contributing to this thread and allow everyone to enjoy their own understanding of LIFE in their own way - and their Bushcraft!
As a wise (and very funny) man once said - "May YOUR god go with you"
John

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Looks like things did get religious after all. :) Or perhaps anti-religious. ;)

I'm a fairly down to earth kind of person most of the time and very sceptical about a lot of things both religious and scientific. (Now that we have become scientific in our thinking are aliens from outer-space just the new hobgoblins, fairies and elves?)

However I do believe there's much more going on in the universe and in our lives than what we can see with our eyes, touch with our hands and comprehend with our concious minds. Science has it's place but we have a need for spirituality in our lives too. Who knows maybe one day science will discover how spiritual things work.

For myriad reasons I'm a believer in God and that there is a "divinity that shapes our ends rough-hew them how we will. (Hamlet - Shakespeare)". Religion and belief in God are not necessarily the same thing.

It seem that bushcrafting and spirituality do go together. I haven't heard of any atheistic tribes people - although there might be some somewhere in our modern world. It's only in our modern city-dwelling lifestyle that we've put spiritual things to one side in favour of a more materialistic thought pattern. Atheism seems to be a thought pattern that has to be developed through intellectual thought rather than something that comes naturally.

Oh, and just for the record I don't believe in reincarnation either. But I do have certain undeveloped theories and thoughts about why people might believe in it.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Name: Isaac Newton

Born: 4 January 1643 (AD)

Died: 31 March 1727 (AD)

"Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done."

Stumbled across this while doing some research on t'internet. Thought it might raise a smile. :)

:sad6: if we haven't really abandoned the no religion rule :deal: , I don't mind being :censored: but would prefer it if the mods don't :ban:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
havingagiraffe said:

:sad6: if we haven't really abandoned the no religion rule :deal: , I don't mind being :censored: but would prefer it if the mods don't :ban:

Catholic? :rolleyes:

You're right though. We should've shut this thread down straight away, I dont really see how you can talk about reincarnation without discussing religion. Toddy was spot on in post #2....
Toddy said:
the fact that you felt the need to mention it kind of re-inforces my own thoughts that it's going to be damned hard to keep it [religion] out of the thread.

The subject is always too emotive and even mods have opinions, and even though we try to be better, we get sucked into it too.

No we havent relaxed the no religion rule, but I did get sucked in and break it myself.

So I'll do now what should've been done from the start,
Thread closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE