Rehandling a machete (first attempt)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A while back now, I replaced my camping machete that id used for some time. The original was a cheap £5 Latin blade and it had served me well enough but the blade was chipped and had been sharpened to little more than a stub. Its replacement, a Gerber Bolo. Its actually a panga style machete not a bolo, but a good chopping blade, holds a good edge and has enough heft to take on fairly thick brush.
My problem was with the handle, it is in my humble opinion the worst design Gerber has ever pumped out! It's too thin, the rubber is both slippy enough to shift in your hand causing blisters and grippy enough to catch on everything. After several failed attempts at making it comfortable including jackwraps and leather covers and nothing worked. So I decided to make a new handle.
General shape was fine, so I drew around it and made a card template. Then cut the insert and scales out of mahogany ply on my new scroll saw (I'm not very good on it as you may see! But I am keenly learning) glued and clamped them together and then dressed and stained the finished product.
It may not be pretty but it's far more comfortable and fills the hand (big lad needed a big handle) and I have to admit I'm quite proud of my first offence at woodworking, I'm good with metal but famously crap with wood!
Have a look at the pics and see what you think. It isnt perfect but I'm still learning. Maybe a rigid scabbard next to replace the nylon one it came with

http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/Mick91/?action=view&current=20150618_132803_zps69450449.jpg

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The grinding on the spine in part of this weekend's project of a saw blade on the back

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
That's looking good. Be interesting to see it when it's finished.

I'm interested to see how far the tang extends into the handle on a concealed tang tool. I've thought about sacrificing a more to see far it extends into the plastic.

Good stuff.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers Bob will be giving it a few coats of varnish and lawyer today. I was a little surprised at the tang given it was advertised as a full tang machete, and is not a full tang. Great steel crap handle I'm afraid. But it does the job I need it to

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE