Rehandled knife and some spoons (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Been a while since I did any carving so I got myself a nice piece of oak and sharpened my knife!
  • The knife is an ordinary kitchen knife that my mum has had for 50 odd years and needed a new handle.
  • The big spoon was something different. I wanted to see how fine I could carve the wood.
  • The other two ... well one is a new "user" spoon for me and the other (funny chunky shaped one) is for my 3-year old neice. Not very practical for her, but sturdy enough to get sat on and not broken.
The interesting thing about this is that they all came from roughly the same bit of wood (same 2 metre section), but they are all very different in colour. The knife was coated in teak oil and then beeswax, while the spoons were soaked/rubbed with walnut oil.

345698388_f2A3d-L.jpg

345698428_YXJxq-L.jpg

345698468_u4NDc-L.jpg

345698509_umPmj-L.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice work mate. Wish i could do a spoon but need a left handed crook knife. Keep up the good work.

An excellent left hook can be had from Del Stubbs at exceptional prices considering the strength of the pound against the dollar.

stubbsspoons3240rn2.jpg

A closeup on my right hook and sloyd....

desertwdelstubbs22221qv9.jpg

Legend

Mar 11, 2007
Dubai, U.A.E.
Nice work mate. Wish i could do a spoon but need a left handed crook knife. Keep up the good work.

I've made two spoons before I baught the crook knife, and haven't made any since!
To make the bowl in the spoon, put an ember on it and blow until it has burnt down to the desired depth, then scrap out the char and sand it down.

When I baught the crook knife it wasn't very sharp and I didn't have a sharpener so that was a mental barrier to making more spoons.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Carvin Jack is a nice tool, but after giving it to the real carvers here (Robin and Nicola), my perceptions have changed. they both made some very valid points and even though it would be handy for knocking something up in the backwoods, a dedicated spooon and whittling knife is a much beter option. I got mine for Christmas from the Frau, so cherish it anyway as she put a lot of thought into it, but i can't help but be a bit dissapointed every time I use it now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE