Rehandled billhook

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Following on from this thread:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117833

I put a handle on the billhook today. I turned a piece of dry hazel in the lathe and then fitted a steel tube (from an airbag activator, as it happens!). I drilled a hole through and enlarged it slightly at the top. The blade was hammered in and the wood didn't split, mainly because of the tube.

Then, using a plane, my new draw knife and a couple of files, managed to get it to a reasonable standard. Certainly feels comfortable in the hand.

null_zpsc7603708.jpg

It's certainly sharp (this was before I'd touched the edge)

null_zps298bdd8d.jpg

I was planning on peening the end of the tang over but managed to damage the handle in doing so, which was irritating... It's currently held in by friction only but after a couple of hours use this afternoon, it showed no signs of coming loose

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Friction only will fail-and when you least expect it. You dont want the blade to fly off and do damage to something else. Dont worry about the handle, slap a washer on, then peen the tang over. Its been done that way for eons, and for good reason...When they have been used a bit they get scars, its normal:)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I take your point about friction but have you ever peened a tang yourself? I've already smashed a chunk off the handle and that didn't leave a mark on the tang...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I take your point about friction but have you ever peened a tang yourself? I've already smashed a chunk off the handle and that didn't leave a mark on the tang...

Are you able to put a cut into the end of the tang? If you can then that helps when peening it over.

If not then take the handle off and heat the last inch or so to red hot and leave to cool then it ought to be easier to peen.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I don't think the handle would come off in one piece, it's on incredibly tight. I'll give it another go but suspect I'll be making a new handle from scratch

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks good to me Robin mate, as the others have said peening is a must, I have seen them just bent over at the end, sometimes into a slot. If all else failes glue it in. I just finished one for Mark, very tight fit after fitting an Elm handle, I heated the end up and peened it warm.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52496&highlight=billhook
This was one I did a while ago. There is a clear photo toward the end of the thread.
I wrapped the blade with wet rags then heated the tang (using a plumbers torch) to get it snug in the wood. Then peened it after wards, done mushroomed like a rivett. The washer is about an inch diameter and 3 mm thick. I got a blacksmith to cut me a disc off of round bar.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, smashed the handle beyond repair whilst trying to pein the tang so made a new one:

a40eefced6dde53f9a076cd0862d988b.jpg

Made sure I peined it before shaping the handle.

749ed7eefbb2c4fbb6a4580cda0e2075.jpg

Getting the remains of the old handle out was pretty tough too

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Interestingly, I once obtained an old hook that had been modified to allow a longer 2 handed handle. A length of 1/4 inch rod was carefully fire welded to the blades tang, to extend it about 4 or 5 inches. The last inch or so was threaded, then the assembly fitted through a hole drilled in the handle, and fixed with a leather and then a steel washer, finally a matching nut to finish. It was a solid job. It looked to have been done donkeys years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE