Rehafting an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodchips

Aug 30, 2006
Bristol, UK
Hiya, I have a new kent pattern axe which I picked up from an old fashioned style hardware store in Perth. The axe had a made in Britain sticker on it and looked hand forged in a hurry.

I know the Kent pattern isn't realy rated for bush craft but I have
I spent a long time filing it to get a decent edge profile on it and to remove some of the forging imperfections. I also stripped the hickory handle of varnish, reprofiled it a little and oiled it a few times with groundnut oil.

Anyway, I took it camping last weekend and used it alot, carved out a spoon blank, split some fire wood, and chopped my way through a 4 inch dead branch (which it did without much trouble)

I was oiling it last night in preparation for a camp in the woods this weekend and I noticed a small split in the haft near the eye, I am obviously pretty nervous about using this now so I thought I would take the opportunity to find myself a decent bit of ash in the woods and make myself a handle. So to my question!

Do I just look for a branch about the thickness of a handle with the right bends in it and then just whittle it to the right shape, or do I have to find a much larger branch and split it to get a handle size piece of wood. I am guessing I will have to split a larger branch, but if one isnt available can I make do with using a stick? I presume I will have to season this wood for a year or so and put the axe to bed for now, am I right in thinking this?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Woodchips,

The Ash needs to be seasoned certainly. The grain needs to be straight and in line with the eye and the handle shaped to provide a correct alignment of bit to haft to grain (something not done in many commercially available axe hafts - hence why the split!). A larger piece shaped down is best. Its a skilled job mind you. Replacement handles are available although I would advise picking them over to check the alignment. Jimbo is Mr axe guru and theres lots of great info on his site

http://www.oldjimbo.com/

Regards - Red

Sometimes a small split can be glued up and a wrap of fiberglass takes care of things. I saw that done lots of times with success years ago. These days, though, handles are often made of improperly dried wood, and the split could be a sign of a big split about to happen no matter how you try to fix it. Steve had this happen while testing a newly set up axe with what he thought was a perfect handle..
splithandle.jpg

Best to forget using branches. Green ones take too long to dry and dead ones can be brittle and snap at bad moments. Instead measure the eye and go looking for ready made replacement handle. Best to get vertical grain if possible. If the handle that came with the axe is curved then you'll most likely find that you need a curved replacement to make axe balance properly. Even replacement handles are often made of improperly dried wood for cheapness, so it's worth scraping off any varnish and letting it dry for as long as possible before fitting to head. Any splits which are going to happen will start within a few weeks of removing varnish, and the only problem left then is that shrinkage will mean re-wedging head later, if you have to fit and use axe right away.

woodchips

Aug 30, 2006
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess it has confirmed my suspicions that this is not going to be a quick fix. As you have advised I will play the long game and keep my eye out for a suitable piece of ash and season it while also scouting hardware stores etc for a suitable haft and see which one comes up trumps first.

I have gone and bought another cheap hardware store axe with a varnished handle. Over the winter I will strip this one and hope for better luck! I will buy that gransfors axe one day!. I am realy seeing their point about how their production methods limit the environmental impact of axe making, I have just been holding off on buying one until I am confident enough in my axe work and sharpening skills to not ruin it

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
Hi guys, very useful info as always but i have a few more questions if i may.

I have been given my great grandfathers old axe by my grandma after i found it rusting away in her garage. It looks like a good one, it's hand forged in glasgow and has a makers mark i can't make out. The handle was loose so i drilled it out and have taken off all the rust. Now i need to fit a new handle, the original one looked like oak, it's only hatchet size about 14" handle. i have some beech that looks good for the job but wasn't sure if beech was a good material. Also how do you season the wood, just keep it indoors for 6-12 months?

Any help much appreciated, Will

woodchips

Aug 30, 2006
Bristol, UK
hi iamwill,

The way I understand it beech will not make a very good axe handle as although it is very hard it has a short grain and hence will be subject to snapping. Ash and hickory have long grain making them more suitable for the type of stress axes, hammers and the like put on the wood, ie bend without breaking. I was looking to use ash as it is native to the UK, but I guess if I buy a handle then hickory might be a more realistic choice as it is more widely available.

As far as seasoning goes I think the ideal is to keep the wood for a year or two and try and let it dry out slowly, so a cool dry area with a steady breeze would be ideal. I have no choice but to keep wood in my flat or garage though as I have no garden, so I might hang it by the air vent in my garage. I am not speaking from experience so hopefully someone will come up with a second opinion!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds good to me woodchips. Traditionally timber (in the UK) was stacked in alternating directions with large gaps outdoors. The stack was covered from rain but the wind could blow through. Seasoning time depends on the diameter of the log to be seasoned but never less than a year. Ash is the best UK timber by far

Iamwill, a replacement 14" handles should cost about £2. Measure the (length) of the eye to find the right size. If you can't find any, PM me and I'll send some suppliers. You could fit a shop bought one and replace with hand carved later. PLEASE read Jimbos site about setting up axes - its pure gold. I'm sure you know all this, but if you want a step by step guide to re-hafting I did a little photo guide a while back

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=11708

Hope thats some help

Red

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
Cheers Red

Had good look at the step by step guide you put together, very helpful. i am going to find a suitable replacement haft and get myself some ash to be seasoned, cool.

just a quick question though. Should i get the rust taken off by shot blasting or do you think that this may effect the tempering of the head due to the impact? don't think it gets too hot. i can get this done by a friend of mine for cheep.

Thanks again, Will :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE