Red's Restored Cauldron

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some of you may have seen the thread "Junk or Jewel" in which I showed this lovely iron "cauldron" that BB discovered propped against a wall when we went to the local tip

1242671483_dfc24b5e46.jpg

1244253700_806e50fc94.jpg

Not in the best condition huh? To be honest, I wasn't sure this one was salvageable given the degree or rusting etc, but some tests showed it was sound. There followed some hard work with wire brush, some dilute vinegar to dissole rust and then some "seasoning" (painting with fat / oil and then baking in an oven.

After 6 coats of seasoning, this is what we have!

1268693494_d90c681b0a.jpg

I have to say, restoring and using antique pieces is always a pleasure. Especially when, as this time, there is no cost - just elbow grease!

What do you think?

Red

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
That looks incredible, any food cooked in it should taste all the better, I take it it's not going to be a flowerpot

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Red, that is a first rate restoration. What will you use it for, or is it too fragile to use regularly? I remember some time ago, when I was hunting for a Dutch over, looking at a website which had similar pots for sale. Have you any idea how old this one is?:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Scoman - it sure isn't going to be a flowerpot (although I suspect it has been :(). If it was I'd have painted rather than oil seasoned it (which has smoked the kitchen out for two days :))

Fred, its pitted inside but sound as a bell. The pitting makes it unsuitable for frying (but I'd use my restored cast iron skillet for that anyway). I see this as very much a stock, soup and stew pot on a fire crane. As for age its made in sections rather than cast so I'm with Toddy's view of "pre-Victorian". Couple of hundred years maybe ?

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Red,

That looks like a sectional casting to me. The wooden mold was made in sections so it could be taken apart from the finished pot.

Later they learned to use sand for the mold so the seam lines went away.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Some of you may have seen the thread "Junk or Jewel" in which I showed this lovely iron "cauldron" that BB discovered propped against a wall when we went to the local tip

1242671483_dfc24b5e46.jpg

1244253700_806e50fc94.jpg

Not in the best condition huh? To be honest, I wasn't sure this one was salvageable given the degree or rusting etc, but some tests showed it was sound. There followed some hard work with wire brush, some dilute vinegar to dissole rust and then some "seasoning" (painting with fat / oil and then baking in an oven.

After 6 coats of seasoning, this is what we have!

1268693494_d90c681b0a.jpg

I have to say, restoring and using antique pieces is always a pleasure. Especially when, as this time, there is no cost - just elbow grease!

What do you think?

Red
that's a classic Abraham Darby’s Cooking Pot, made from 1707 onwards , there is one just like it in Iron Bridge, Coalbrookdale.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
this lovely restored pot should be shown in use at the next moot what you say Red think you shoud have an exhebition of your brill photograhs as well

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thnaks Tadpole! BB is dead chuffed she looked through the scrap heap while I was dumping!

John - generally too shy for large groups of people I'm afraid - I plan to look into the WG as its near but only as a day visitor so I can run away when it all gets too much. I'll promise a picture of it on a fire though!

Red

EdS

how big is it. It looks a lot like the wash pots that all the terraces around here had, some until the 1960's.

They are a fairly large cast pot that is set in a heath under which the fire is built. They where more or less bricked in. You still see a lot in gardens, i've even seen a few still in the orginal hearth by ranges.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
EdS, This is a small iron pot..maybe 8" across - do for Barbies bikini but that's it! I remember the old washing pots (we called the "coppers") - there's still a few about

Mary - no link in the post mate?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE