Red squirrel pantry

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
In all the years I've been roaming the bush,this is the first time I've seen a squirrel use this for food storage:
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/camokodiak/late october outing/IMG_0432.jpg
This birch bark was completely hollow except for about a foot off the ground.That would be all that was holding it up.The rest was full of spruce cones.
The part you're looking at stands about three feet high.
Kind of unique I thought.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
In all the years I've been roaming the bush,this is the first time I've seen a squirrel use this for food storage:
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/camokodiak/late october outing/IMG_0432.jpg
This birch bark was completely hollow except for about a foot off the ground.That would be all that was holding it up.The rest was full of acorns.
The part you're looking at stands about three feet high.
Kind of unique I thought.

If those are acorns, I'm a banana...

Acorns grow on OAK trees.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
If those are acorns, I'm a banana...

Acorns grow on OAK trees.

You are exactly right,they are spruce cones.A lot of people here call spruce & pine cones 'acorns' in the same way that they call all makes of snowmobiles 'skidoos'.An incorrect but generic term.Why, I do not know,but anyway I should have used the correct name.Sometimes they're also referred to as 'nuts',which of course they aren't either.Real acorns are something I've never seen,nor have I ever seen an oak tree.
Southey,no I didn't get to see that particular worker,but there were lots chattering all about.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
by JonathanD
I knew it. Wonder how long it would take me to tunnel from my cellar to Reds house,

roughly 535931 days i rekon if your able to dig at an average speed of one foot per night, Need a hand?:)

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Hey, that's really cool, I've been involved with a Red Squirrel project in scotland that is collating the most comprehensive information to date on the subject .
I've been surveying and monitoring red squirrel for the past year or so and haven't come across anything like that,,,,,,coool!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE