Red Hunters Axe - Cegga, version 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
First my apologies for taking so long in writing this, it's an embarassing thing having agreed to write one in return for getting the axe at such an incredibly low price, and so I would personally offer my apologies to Red and Cegga.

Now, I am a novice with axes, one reason it's taken me so long to write this, but my first impressions of getting the box delivered was that I'd made some huge mistake as surely only a toy could fit in there. Opening it though relieved those fears and the axe itself proved to be superbly balanced, both holding up near the head for detailed work and at the bottom of the haft. The craftsmanship is clear even to an inexperienced eye and the level of finish is excellent with the head being polished clean of all casting and manufacturing marks. The haft I had been dreading being varnished, but instead the straight grain was easily visible under the oil finish. All in all, more what might be expected of a good knife and not a tool more normally relegated to utilitarian end of the scale.

The mask is well made in a good weight of leather, and while the closure is unusual it seems to work well. The only thing I could fault it on would be the small belt loop, but then I tend to use a webbing belt and not a leather one.

In use the axe is flexible though of course light in weight. However I found that it didn't cut as well I'd expected from an axe with an apparently narrow profile. I guess that the small size is deceiving and I know that it was something that was changed on the second batch. Cutting conifer branches, about one inch seemed about the maximum diameter of branch that could be cut in one blow. Hitting harder didn't seem to help as the blade bounced back out of the cut without cutting much deeper. This of course is likely down to poor technique as much as anything.

It was much better at shaping wood, and it didn't take long to convert a section of green beech from a lump blown off the side of a tree when it snapped in a gale into a roughed plank an inch thick and a foot long.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and it's small size means that it's easy to carry, fitting easily inside a pack. Obviously heavy work would be harder with it than a larger axe, but then I know it's possible even if it is a case of horses for courses.

Recommendation is 100% and it's a tool that I would place into the heirloom category given that I'll never use it enough to actually wear it out.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Tis a fab axe, eh....? You say small, but my Cegga axe is the biggest axe I own......
Also, you mention a belt loop....Would you ever wear the axe on your belt....?

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
<grins> well it's the smallest axe I own - the only other one I own is my 6lb grandfathers axe, which one of these days I must get reprofiled into something more useful.

But the belt loop? Actually yes I might. This afternoon as I was clearing up some branches I'd pruned I had it slung though a loop on the belt that also holds my secateurs, pruning knife and folding saw - though obviously this was gardening not bushcrafting!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
<grins> well it's the smallest axe I own - the only other one I own is my 6lb grandfathers axe, which one of these days I must get reprofiled into something more useful.

But the belt loop? Actually yes I might. This afternoon as I was clearing up some branches I'd pruned I had it slung though a loop on the belt that also holds my secateurs, pruning knife and folding saw - though obviously this was gardening not bushcrafting!

Must be nice to have your Grandfathers axe, bet your proud to use it.....All my axes, apart from the Cegga, are whittling axes... Most folk I have seen with axes out in the bush, tend to just stick the handle through their belts, rather than hang them from the belt, or carry them on their packs. I know that lots of masks are able to attach to belts, so they are designed for that, but I never see it......

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I have all py axe masks made to accept a variety of carry options. "Wear" is an interesting choice of words. Going to and from camp generally its clipped to the outside of my pack. Around camp or gathering wood etc, yes I like a way to carry the axe. It saves losing the mask and keeps the axe safe when my arms are full of wood. The only ones comfortable for long term belt carry are my mini, Lee Reeves or Cegga. Anything larger generally goes on the baldric

Red

, but my first impressions of getting the box delivered was that I'd made some huge mistake as surely only a toy could fit in there. Opening it though relieved those fears and the axe itself proved to be superbly balanced, both holding up near the head for detailed work and at the bottom of the haft. The craftsmanship is clear even to an inexperienced eye and the level of finish is excellent with the head being polished clean of all casting and manufacturing marks. The haft I had been dreading being varnished, but instead the straight grain was easily visible under the oil finish. All in all, more what might be expected of a good knife and not a tool more normally relegated to utilitarian end of the scale.

yep i thought the Postie was delivering a small box of Chocolates :lmao: and the misus had been getting Thorntons to deliver again :eek:

I do agree with every thing above its small n Sweet but not covered in choccolate

one question when usng the back end as a wedge hammer etc would you recommend a Blade cover as you could have an ear off :eek: :eek: even a Splittin head ache :D or would you make wooden batton up ?? (see im :newbie: to axes too)

for me the mask its got is fine as i wouldnt carry it other than a pack ive lined mine with silicone cloth at the moment to keep it warm and oiled at night :27:

ATB

Duncan

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
having been lucky enough to receive a Red Hunter Cegga axe I can only second what everyone has to say about it. It may be small in size but it certainly handles tasks you do not think an axe that size would be capable off. I took mine to the spring moot and gave it a good workout both chopping seasoned firewood, and also using it for delicate work like basic shaping when spoon carving. It showed what a good edge it holds because having chopped some firewood it was more than capable of performing planing cuts when shaping spoons or making feathersticks.
To this end if the attachment or link works I took a picture of the axe to show what a real giant of an axe it is !, well when compared to the wives bonsai trees

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1021/533513403_712830f72b_o.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We'll keep doing axes Lurch, but Ceggas busy so it was either focus on the new Nessmuk design or keep doing the Red's Hunter. We've done a few runs of the Hunter now so it will be nice to widen out the range and offer something different to people.

The Hunter may well re-appear at some point - just not soon

Red

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I got the version 2 axe a bit over a week ago and will do a full review in time but I have had it out on a two day trip and it performed flawlessly. I have already given my Wildlife Hatchet away as it is certainly redundant. there is also a chance that I may not need to take my SFA with me as much now as the Cegga axe has enough ability to do most of the splitting I would need.

On the trip with me was Lloyd one of the mods on SotP who was visiting from Canada. He was very impressed with the ace and spent most of the nights carving with it.

cegga.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks John.

Your opinion on this is very important to us as one of the most respected voices on the forum. I look forward to seeing your full review in time.

That someone would give away a GB in favour of the axe is all the endorsenment I could ever wish for - thank you!

Red

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Your opinion on this is very important to us as one of the most respected voices on the forum. I look forward to seeing your full review in time.

No pressure then :)

That someone would give away a GB in favour of the axe is all the endorsenment I could ever wish for - thank you!

It was the only way I could get the Cegga axe out of his hands ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE