Red gel for torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
For those of you who want to convert a torch to red light - here's a cheap option. The red wrapping (not the wax case) of a min-babybel works rather well (may need doubling) as a lens.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I got a sample from a local DJ suppliers of a lighting gel which works OK. Guy didn't charge more for a piece 6 inches square which was enough for what I wanted anyway.

Worth a try.

I like the Babybell idea, recycle, recycle.

David

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Babybell are standard outdoor kit as far as I’m concerned. I regularly use the wax to help along the fire make little candles etc. You can even eat the cheesy bit! :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm lucky enough to have a partner who is involved with a theatrical group, so I can scrounge red lighting "gel" when I need some. I use it on my rabbitting lamps as the bunnies seem less spooked by red light than white and the red light does not mess up my own night vision so much either.

If you do want to redden a more powerful lamp like this (not a torch, but something thats running on perhaps 12 volts with a 30 or 50 Watt bulb) beware of the Babybel / biscuit wrapper / sweeties packet idea. Most of these plastics are too easily melted and last no time at all on the front of a powerful lamp due to the heat they give off. Proper lighting gel also gives a "purer" red than others, that's why it's used for lighting effects in theatres and on disco lights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE