Recycled fur

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
This is a slightly emotive subject, so I hope it doesn't get booted straight off, but apologies if it is a little too contentious....

It is not my intention to start an argument, merely get a few different perspectives.

I have the offer of a (relatively) cheap wolfskin coat. Whilst I am fervently anti fur farms/fur fashion/fur for fur's sake, this is clearly a second hand coat, and one that I intend to recycle into some arctic gear (my previous Finnish guide extolled the insulative virtues of wolf fur). My current perspective is that the previous owners of the skins are long gone, and the pelts will be used for a solid practical reason, and one that is a lot more justifiable (in my humble opinion) than the original use (sorry, furriers).

Remember folks, talk nicely, and moderators, please be patient....!

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Hmmm, this is rather an emotive one, isn't it?

Having said that, I think that I follow your position quite closely - I disapprove of the wearing of furs (and indeed the farming of furs) for fashion purposes, but I accept that, in high Arctic conditions, furs are still about the best things to wear. There's a superb quote from a BBC webpage here 'Huh, Greenpeace' from someone who wears furs to be able to function, and maybe even survive....

I think that if you're recycling the furs for use in a climate where they really are required for your comfort if not your survival, that this is probably acceptable use.

Cheers

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
Pretty much.... I suppose that just being on this forum implies a certain amount of respect for nature that goes against killing furry beasties just for fashion's sake. Which is not to say that there aren't many justifiable reasons for killing furry beasties, ie for food, pest control, safety, and other practical reasons. Fur and leather might very often be a by product of these activities. I guess I am interested in peoples' standpoint on the ethics of recycled fur that in a previous incarnation was probably not produced for the aforementioned reasons.

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
Sorry Ian S, just missed your reply... That's pretty well where I'm coming from. I'm quite surprised that given the huge practical benefits of fur in a cold climate, I haven't seen an awful lot of discussion in the bushcraft community about recycling fur.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ok.... I'm against the farming or trapping of animals purely for their fur. If iy's a by product from food production then ok.

As for old fur garments... then use it as at least it's not going to be wasted

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
I'm all for recycling. The beastie is long gone and you might aswell use the fur for as long as it holds out, so its death wasnt in vain.

I suppose there hasnt been much discussion on this topic as fur farming is quite a contentious issue and we dont often have the weather to justify regularly wearing real fur.

Nothing wrong with fur in its rightful place.

However if you wear it outwith arctic areas be prepared for having to explain yourself occasionally

Cheers
Ness :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its a bit of a non issue I think chap, if your going to wear it because it is the best option for you in that enviroment then crack on, cheap is cheap, if you were going kill it for a one time wear then i could see your morals being a barrier then, but this isnt the case, so have a warm and comfy time. where are you off too, sounds like fun?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wear and use a great deal of fur. Types include beaver, sheepskin, caribou and others. The skins are useful, rugged and superbly insulating. None were farmed for fur and are either by products of meat or trapped vermin.

I also, to be honest, don't give a furry rats a** what other people think about that - its more ecologically sound than rotting it down. I would be happy to use fox, deerskin and many other skins of animals that need to be controlled.

Go for it - your rationale is fine

Red

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
Many thanks fellas for all the comments - it's comforting to see that broadly speaking they reflect my standpoint. To be honest, it's more fitting that the skins are keeping my ar** warm in a cold climate than gracing the back of a rich socialite! In answer to your question, I have a bit of a love affair with Norway ever since I rolled my 4x4 in the mountains (!!). I'm planning to book a cabin near Tromso next year (would thoroughly recommend novasol.com) for up to eight people. However, I love the cold climate in general and the skins are for a vest liner, and possibly a hood ruff and a pair of mittens - waste not want not!

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I'm a bit in with this too, my grand mother works in as a volunteer in a local charity shop, and I've told her to keep an eye out for any old leather jackets, handbags, fur scarves- all of that kind of thing that turn up - I've had a few bits and bobs form there now for literally, a couple of quid- I'd much rather think that this type of thing is being reused instead of being thrown out.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Sounds like you're only going to wear it in Norway/Arctic environment. The people there see fur differently. My concern would be the durability of the coat. Is it a fashion item -therefore possibly not made well or at least made for the wilderness? (Won't be warm if the sleeves fall off...)

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
It's not going to be worn in its original form....I have a friend who is an accomplished seamstress who has already made me a very impressive wool bushcraft shirt and I have persuaded her to start work on a canvas vest/waistcoat which I want to line with the wolfskin, and possibly wear under a snow smock. I will probably have to get a pro furrier to disassemble the existing coat in the right way to get the most out of it. By the way, makes sense to me to have the fur pile on the inside to trap heat and the smooth suede on the outer to repell water, and yet many cold weather natives seem to do the opposite. Anyone know why one would wear the fur on the outside...?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Personally, I am totally against fur for fashion, fur for protection is a different matter. You're not going down to the supermarket wearing it, it's purely for protection and warmth, so I can't see a problem. I too am a keen recycler, can't stand things going to waste and there is a pleasure in making something from something else. If I had the chance myself, I'd go for it.

Entirely up to you mate, just do what you feel/want.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
By the way, makes sense to me to have the fur pile on the inside to trap heat and the smooth suede on the outer to repell water, and yet many cold weather natives seem to do the opposite. Anyone know why one would wear the fur on the outside...?
That's the way the original animal wore it ;)

I remember seeing/reading/watching something that explained the way the fur wicked moisture through to the outside of the garment where it turned to ice crystals and was shed by the movement of the hairs. I also think that some inuit clothing is made of 2 layers skin-side to skin-side so that there is fur on the inside AND on the outside. I'll try and find more info later :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I wear and use a great deal of fur. Types include beaver, sheepskin, caribou and others. The skins are useful, rugged and superbly insulating. None were farmed for fur and are either by products of meat or trapped vermin.

I also, to be honest, don't give a furry rats a** what other people think about that - its more ecologically sound than rotting it down. I would be happy to use fox, deerskin and many other skins of animals that need to be controlled.

Go for it - your rationale is fine

Red
Yep.

Saved me typing it all out.:)

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
I will wear it to the supermarket.....but only in the event of a new Ice Age. Thanks for the intell, bikething - and my contribution to evolution: 'Animals! Keep warm and dry and turn yourselves inside out! You know it makes sense!'. If anyone has any tips on fur 'tailoring', i'll be pleased to hear them....plan is to wax the canvas outer shell and have a furry inner lining...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE