Recording sightings - Tip

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Do you keep a list of the animals you've seen and where you've seen them?

I've found that Google Earth is great for logging sightings, you can add placemarks and all the necessary details like time, date, weather and descriptions and you can pinpoint the sightings really accurately.

It's great for building up a yearly picture of the wildlife in your area.

Maybe some people do this already, but I just thought I'd suggest it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not so sure it's that good an idea from the animals point of view. If folk can use discretion and not mention badger sets etc then it could be really useful.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not so sure it's that good an idea from the animals point of view. If folk can use discretion and not mention badger sets etc then it could be really useful.

No, you've both got it all wrong.
It's not a public viewing thing, the placemarks can only be seen in YOUR viewer on YOUR computer.

However, there is an option to share the placemarks with other users if you so wish.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No, you've both got it all wrong.
It's not a public viewing thing, the placemarks can only be seen in YOUR viewer on YOUR computer.

However, there is an option to share the placemarks with other users if you so wish.

Ah, I didn't realise it was private

I just presumed that with it being Google Earth it was publicly available

Humble pie well and truly eaten

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
No worries Bushwacker and no offence intended. It is a good idea but it sounded like it might be making sensitive information available to all and sundry.

regards Andy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
No probs.
Anyhow, like I said, It's a great tool for logging your sightings, although it would be better if you could have different viewable layers for different species or, failing that, colour coded pins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE