Reconstituted leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I hate to bring up this very morbid subject but I need to know how to recognise it, and how is it labeled?

Even, aside from price, has it any advantages?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's usually labelled "Real Leather".
Non reconstituted stuff is "Full Grain Leather".

It doesn't stretch quite the same. It's fine for things like wallets and purses. Not so good for shoes, though it does get used for the inside layers, and really not for proper belts though it does get used for the ones that are backed with plastic or fabric.

It's only advantage is that it's using up scraps and that it's cheaper than FG leather.
It is very regular and even looking. It doesn't flex quite the same when handled as non minced up and regurgitated stuff. It's also called Bonded Leather, and is much used just now for those leather household things in soft furnishings.

That's about all I know of it Tengu, sorry, probably not much help :dunno:

M

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It does have one advantage….it comes by the metre, and it's all neat and tidily regular and even looking. Like well made fabric, iimmc.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh yes :) but the base material that it all starts with is leather, so they can claim that it's real :rolleyes:
It's actually a very practical way to use the scraps and remnants, but it's the sleight-of-hand that irritates.

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Leather dust is mixed up in a bug tub of plastic and when they have done the mixing it is rolled out in sheets - basically it is leather flavour plastic - not leather as a cow would recognize it. As "stabilized wood" is denatured wood that has the handling of plastic "Reconstituted Leather" is leather with all the natural goodness replaced with plastic ... I avoid both!
Wood is wood, leather is leather and plastic is plastic!

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I almost bought a couple of real leather belts recently. I got speaking to the shop owner about how they could sell 2 for £10. When he told me, I put them back. Poor guy lost out on a sale, but I salute his honesty :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's best thought of as a leather 'cloth'.
Seen that way, it does have it's uses, but as John says, it's really a mix of plastics and leather now.
In the past it wasn't plasticised. It was ground small and then mixed with cellulose and resin. All perfectly natural products, and some is still made that way today. I believe it was a German boot manufacturer who first really brought that mix to a commercial use.
Then the development of plastics meant that the surface could be not just moulded and coloured but actually made to have a permanent finish. Like a fake version of patent leather.

I know there's a website out there somewhere that describes this because the German company is still in business.
I'll find a link.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Reconstituted leather: does it come in various thicknesses? I think I need "thin."
I'd like to have a Dene' native woman do some bead work for me.
Also plan some beginner's efforts in porcupine quill work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
RV that would be a travesty; to have that kind of work done on sub standard material, it really would.

If we can buy good fine leather here, surely in North America it's possible ?

The reconstituted stuff is fine for covering books and boxes, for making the linings for shoes, for stacked heels, purses and wallets, but for high class hand crafted work, buy better.

atb,
M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah, Toddy. The correct direction as always. Thank you.
I was pondering the base material.
I have a pair of bison horns from the late 1800's. The center piece is an exquisite piece of slik embroidery
done on denim cotton, no less. It is so fine that I had to use a 10X magnifier = I thought it was ink.
I will have words with my Dene' friend.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, Toddy. The correct direction as always. Thank you.
I was pondering the base material.
I have a pair of bison horns from the late 1800's. The center piece is an exquisite piece of slik embroidery
done on denim cotton, no less. It is so fine that I had to use a 10X magnifier = I thought it was ink.
I will have words with my Dene' friend.

Denim cotton of that period was usually on linen, at least for the warp threads. Denim isn't poor quality fabric, iimmc, just a little pedestrian :)
Some of the Chinese silk embroidery on such materials is absolutely superb. Every single barb on feathers, for instance.
It really is the kind of work that makes it so clear why machine made was done in emulation of the best of hand made, not the other way around.

M

Just a thought, provoked by this thread indeed; is anyone on here making/selling leather coffee pouches at all? Reindeer leather that is, full grain, not real, plastic or otherwise?

Yes I still have some reindeer hide that I brought back from Norway. I've just done an order for a couple of Sami pouches and there's enough left for more, big or small.

http://ragsto.com/shop/sami-style-leather-pouch/

Ive got to say that out of all the leather I use (regurgitated included!) the reindeer hide is quite special, it's very tough and ages really nicely showing it's natural patina.
That's the biggest difference I think between the reconstituted leather and the real thing is that the plastic leather isn't going to age well, if at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE