Recommended Pannier Bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Hi all,

I've decided that this year is going to be the year of the bicycle. Rather than drive to a site (or land I have permission to use), I have decided to connect a little more with the world, and use a combination of trains and bicycle to get to my usual haunts.

As such, I'm looking at using a combination of panniers with a lighter-weight and smaller rucksack, rather than carrying 20kg's on my back as I'm cycling.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend pannier bags that are suitable for bushcraft use.

Some of the criteria are:

* Must carry 40 litres + between them
* Must be waterproof or include rain covers
* Must be fairly sturdy and not easily rippable
* Mustn't be bright or gaudy colours
* Mustn't be in DPM

Many thanks in advance all,

Morrolan

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Well they're not cheap, but I think Ortlieb Classics will be your best bet (http://www.ortliebpanniers.co.uk/). I started off with cheaper panniers, and of course, ended up having to buy decent ones after a very short time.

Ours (Mrs DHD and I use one set between us) have lasted for at least 5 years now, and are as tough as old boots - certainly strong enough to be regularly (over) loaded. I believe they meet your criteria admirably!

Hope that helps

E

ex member coconino

Ortleib or Carradice. I use Ortleib because of a personal preference for the roll-top closure. Something to consider is whether to get ones which can double as a day pack, both Ortleib and Carradice do these. If you can buy them singly, get one standard pannier and one backpack panner.

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
I've got a lovely vintage Carradice rack pack in green. Love the look of it. I use two side panniers for most of my touring which is more than enough. Gotta keep it lightweight otherwise you end up pulling wheelies with all the weight on the back. I'm not sure what make mine are. If you want something cheap, keep an eye out at Lidl...I haven't got any personal experience of them, but most of their cycling kit is excellent quality at low cost. Most seem to come with rain covers.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Two mentioned (Carradice = Bolton made IIRC and Ortleib = large German company probably made in Asia but still one of the best pieces of kit) are both very good and hard to beat. I also think Altura (a bike clothing and equipment manufacturer) also do some pretty good panniers at a slightly cheaper price than Ortleib and Carradice I think. They are also available in a highly visible and reflective pannier that is excellent for commuting. If you are going to be cycling off early or late in the day when it could be low in light then being visible is a good thing. That is why you often get reflective bits and like one of the Altura panniers fully reflective and hi-viz all around the visible parts of the pannier. Afterall you can be missed when seen from the front, back or sides so better to get 190 degrees visibility on each pannier. I know that is against your gaudy colours but better safe and visible than discrete on a bike at times. You can always cover it if you need to stash the bike and panniers at the destination.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Two mentioned (Carradice = Bolton made IIRC and Ortleib = large German company probably made in Asia but still one of the best pieces of kit) are both very good and hard to beat. I also think Altura (a bike clothing and equipment manufacturer) also do some pretty good panniers at a slightly cheaper price than Ortleib and Carradice I think. They are also available in a highly visible and reflective pannier that is excellent for commuting. If you are going to be cycling off early or late in the day when it could be low in light then being visible is a good thing. That is why you often get reflective bits and like one of the Altura panniers fully reflective and hi-viz all around the visible parts of the pannier. Afterall you can be missed when seen from the front, back or sides so better to get 190 degrees visibility on each pannier. I know that is against your gaudy colours but better safe and visible than discrete on a bike at times. You can always cover it if you need to stash the bike and panniers at the destination.

Carradice are made in Nelson lancs

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My mistake but its still just round the corner. Should have known that being from Blackburn. Could have cycled there to the factory. Used tyo cycle to thee old Karrimor factory that part of the world. used to sell all sorts there cheaply. Could get their top price sack for a third of the market price as factory seconds. One I saw still came with lifetime gold guarantee (mate still sends his back to be repaired under it all the time and its 25 plus years old) and what was wrong with it?? One strap had three rows of bar tacking instead of the two it should have had. Was actually stronger but they still took 2/3 rds off the price.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've had a pair of Karrimor panniers on my touring bike for well nigh thirty years and they're still fine. They had plastic clips to clip them to the rack, they broke off fairly early on and I lashed something up with cord. So they aren't exactly quick release any more but they still work. You can get them (or the later equivalents I guess) for under thirty quid on the auction sites.

The problem I've found with loading lots of stuff into panniers is that you can put a lot of stress on the back end of the bike if you're not careful, especially on high pressure tyres. I've broken a few rear axles and even buckled a wheel, but I suppose spread over about thirty thousand miles that's not too bad. My wife has both front and rear panniers on her touring bike (Dawes bike, can't remember the make of the panniers off hand and she's asleep in bed right now). Spreading the weight like that makes a lot of sense to me, but the price of them didn't so I've stuck with just the rear ones. I get a very sweaty back if I carry a rucksack on a bike so I try not to do it. I'd rather tow a trailer, years ago I made one for cross-channel camping trips and it can carry a huge load compared to the panniers. You don't really notice much drag on the flat but when you get to the hills it starts to make itself felt. :(

deej517

Nov 20, 2010
South Lanarkshire
Hi
I use Altura 56 litre rear panniers for longer distance and extended trips but use a combination of 20 litre and 40 litre sets by Halfords, have been using them commuting most days to work for the last 10 years, not waterproof but you can get drysac liners. They only cost me £30 and I thought they would last a few years and then upgrade but they are still going strong. I use a Dawes Galaxy for touring using front and rear bags to spread load, on roads large panniers not a problem, off road on the mountain bike I use smaller panniers and a small rucksack and am very economical with loading. So if considering panniers start with Aldi's or Lidle their gear is cheap but hard wearing and will give you opportunity to test suitability. Everyone will have their favourite setup, beg borrow or s###l and find what suits you.
Good luck

E

ex member coconino

Ortleib are very popular and have a very good reputation.
Carradice are very good also, plus they're British.:cool:

However if you want a really classy looking pannier then take a look at these, don't look at the price though:yikes:
http://www.brooksengland.com/en/Sho...bags+&+accoutrements&prod=DEVON+Rear+Panniers

The great advantage of the Ortleib bags is that they're flexible enough to take bulky or odd-shaped loads, the Brooks panniers look smart but I reckon they're the cycling equivalent of a briefcase or cabin luggage.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The Edinburgh Bike Coop ones have a roll top inside the flap, and the flap has a pocket so nyerr nyerr.
:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE