Recommended pack for weekend camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 6, 2013
UK
Been lurking here for a while, figured it was time to take the plunge. I'm looking a for a larger pack for a weekend camping trip with friends, but having never needed anything larger than a day pack before I've no idea what to go for. Bulk of my kit will likely be along the lines of:

• Gelert Solo tent (or similar)
  • Snugpak sleeper lite
  • Sleeping mat
  • Trangia stove set
  • Small amount of food
  • Change of clothes
  • General nicknacks
I've heard good things about the Karrimor SF range from a friend, but apart from that I'm unsure what to look for. Ideally I want something of good quality that will last, and versatile enough to keep using in the future. Budget is around £100, although I'm happy to save money where possible :)

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
hi, i have a Snugpak sleeka force pack, had no problems with that. Also, have a look at "Hazard 4", i dont have their kit but worth a look, some good reviews on the net. :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
The vango sherpa is extemely good for the money, i have been using a 70 + 10L for a couple of years now and found it more comfortable than any pack i have used.
They also do a 50 + 10 and a 60 + 10 depending on your requirements (from the kit you mentioned below i would guess the 60 + 10 would suit best). I think you can pick them up online for from around £60-70.

I'll be honest i am a bit of a kit junky and would normally go with the philosophy of expensive = better but I cant rate Vango highly enough as a "budget" brand that performs like a much dearer make.

Hamster

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Have a look at the snugpak rocket pak mate.

It's a 40litre main pack but comes with 2 15 litre side pouches that zip in.
It also has a built in rain cover.

Works well for me!!

Atb
Steve

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If it's your first real rucksack then I would suggest you avoid the military packs which although usually well built they are heavy & not always comfortable & generally take a bit of getting used to & what works for some doesn't for others.
I reckon a 65 - 70 liter bag would be give you more options in the future should you wish to go winter camping or longer trips & need to carry more stuff. From your kit list it doesn't look like you'll need side pouches so you have a large choice of single bodied bags with good adjustible back systems to choose from within your price range.

rg598

Native
If it's your first real rucksack then I would suggest you avoid the military packs which although usually well built they are heavy & not always comfortable & generally take a bit of getting used to & what works for some doesn't for others.
I reckon a 65 - 70 liter bag would be give you more options in the future should you wish to go winter camping or longer trips & need to carry more stuff. From your kit list it doesn't look like you'll need side pouches so you have a large choice of single bodied bags with good adjustible back systems to choose from within your price range.

100% right. I would go with something like the Osprey Atmos 65.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yep Lowe Alpine make great back packs, recently picked a Lowe Alpine Outback 65-80. After a few trips out with it I can thoroughly recommend it. Lots of great features you'd expect at a higher price point and most importantly a fantastic back system (TFX 6).

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yep Lowe Alpine make great back packs, recently picked a Lowe Alpine Outback 65-80. After a few trips out with it I can thoroughly recommend it. Lots of great features you'd expect at a higher price point and most importantly a fantastic back system (TFX 6).

I agree Lowe Alpine make some great packs.

I have an old Appalacian trail 65-85, paid £20 for it last year, bunged it through the washing machine and came out brilliantly!!

Dont be afraid to buy a 2nd hand one, there is some great savings to be had, I would rather buy a brilliant 2nd hand pack for the price of a average new one.

Cheers
Steve

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
My experience is that there is no such thing as a "weekend pack". The only thing that is different in a week pack compared to a weekend one is more food. I like to take all my hygene stuff on weekends too, so it's just a matter of more food.

With that being said my Granite Gear Crown V.C. is 60 liters and about 75-80% full with a weekend's worth of food. But then again my stuff is quite small.

Now 3-season pack vs winter pack, there's a difference.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive been using a granite gear blaze 60l pack. Nice and light and plenty of room. Over budget though but there is a similar granite gear pack on ebay currently for £95 start with no bids.

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
I'll add another voice for Lowe Alpine packs. I've got a Cerro Torre from them and a Karrimor SF 80-130. The both do different jobs so I guess it's slightly unfair to compare them however I would say that the back system and hip belt on the Lowe Alpine is something else. The overly padded hip belt on the Karrimor badly lets it down when carrying very heavy loads. I like both packs however for a mid sized pack that's extremely comfy I'd definitely recommend the Lowe Alpine. I picked up the Cerro Torre (recent version) second hand for £50 on the bay. There's definitely bargains to be had.

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
I bought a 65 litre pack from Argos for 35 quid :D it feels huge, I can fit my bulky synthetic bag, a 1kg tent, DD tarp in it with plenty of room to spare in the main section for things like clothes and cooking equip. There are two (tiny) sidepockets which I use for odd bits like torches and bottles.

For uber-budget it sure does the trick, even has adjustable hip/waist strap thingies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE