Recommended metal/robust headtorch

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
www.greengrow.org.uk
Hello Hivemind,
I am definately a headtorch guy, since the old 4.5v flat battery Petzls.
I have Olight H1, Nitecore NU25UL and several broken iterations of Petzl Zipka, Tikka (new and old Core versions). All doing well enough for camping, travelling, holidays etc. No longer doing multiday winter mountaineering trips so don't need big bright things.
But I am on my second Petzl Taktika Core for daily driver at work. They are about right in trms of required brightness/flood/duration/levels/size and weight. But they keep breaking!!!
Paul Kirtley got fed up with Petzls and went for a Surefire Minimus, I think. I am not sure if these will fit my bill, be available in UK, or affordable. What are my options in floody/6hr/rechargeable/not too heavy/pocket friendly properly robust headtorches?. I could stand a hefty pricetag if it really was great and might last more than 2 years...
Thanks for any feedback!
Richard

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have an Armytek Tiara C1, which always felt very robust given its aluminium body. I have no idea how, but the lens on mine is cracked. It's still functioning fine, going on five years now, but I do expect it to stop if any water gets on the lens. I wouldn't buy another because I find the interface a bit of a faff, the tint is quite jarring, and the LED status light in the button is really annoying when on your head and you've set the output to low - the green/red flashing can be really quite noticeable.

I also have a Nitecore NU32, which feels very much less substantial given its all plastic construction; can't comment on its real life robustness as it gets used so infrequently. I like the red flood but that has a strange darker circle in middle of it, main white beam is impressive. I wouldn't buy another though, given the aforementioned red light spot and the integrated battery.

Reactions: RichardJackson

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Skilhunt appear to have a sale on atm, Skilhunt H200 or H300 worth considering.

Others would be ArmyTek Wizard C2, there are several variations of that.

Also probably should mention Zebralight and their H600F (F=Floody) series, but they don't have on flashlight charging.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wurkkos announced an upcoming headlamp, the HD16. No idea when it's due but has potential to be the go to recommended headlamp light.

Spot, Flood & Red light, with a clicky dial for control.
a3gnho8x9bmd1.jpg

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales

Dan00001

Nomad
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Wurkkos announced an upcoming headlamp, the HD16. No idea when it's due but has potential to be the go to recommended headlamp light.

Spot, Flood & Red light, with a clicky dial for control.
a3gnho8x9bmd1.jpg
That does look nice, if they're a good price I will be buying one. Thanks.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
No problem with Petzls for me, might not be as bright as the Johnny come lately's but I have a Tikka and a couple of E-lites that are still doing what they were designed to. In fact I found one of my E-lites in a muddy puddle and it works fine.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I have the Nitecore HC65, it’s my main light and it’s great, like a previous poster said, bombproof. I got it off Ray Mears site, basically, there was so much choice, so many options, I was overloaded. I just thought that if that’s pretty much the only light Ray Mears offers then it must be pretty decent, I wasn’t disappointed- it does everything I need without frivolous nonsense. Later, having got sucked down the Sofirn rabbit hole, I got their HS20 which is also good, very well made, although it doesn’t have a red light, which I do like as it doesn’t seem to attract biting midges and what have you. I also got a couple of smaller Sofirn ones as back ups, which, as every Sofirn I’ve bought has been, are also good, although I can’t remember the model no.s off hand.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have couple of the small Sofirns. Very compact never had an issue with lack of charge. The older one the button is a bit unreliable for mode selection but it doesn’t affect use for me as I just have it on “medium”or off.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Quicker than expected.

The LED choices could have been better, and the dial switches between Spot, Flood, Spot&Flood, think I and others were expecting brightness on the dial.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE