Recommended metal/robust headtorch

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
www.greengrow.org.uk
Hello Hivemind,
I am definately a headtorch guy, since the old 4.5v flat battery Petzls.
I have Olight H1, Nitecore NU25UL and several broken iterations of Petzl Zipka, Tikka (new and old Core versions). All doing well enough for camping, travelling, holidays etc. No longer doing multiday winter mountaineering trips so don't need big bright things.
But I am on my second Petzl Taktika Core for daily driver at work. They are about right in trms of required brightness/flood/duration/levels/size and weight. But they keep breaking!!!
Paul Kirtley got fed up with Petzls and went for a Surefire Minimus, I think. I am not sure if these will fit my bill, be available in UK, or affordable. What are my options in floody/6hr/rechargeable/not too heavy/pocket friendly properly robust headtorches?. I could stand a hefty pricetag if it really was great and might last more than 2 years...
Thanks for any feedback!
Richard

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have an Armytek Tiara C1, which always felt very robust given its aluminium body. I have no idea how, but the lens on mine is cracked. It's still functioning fine, going on five years now, but I do expect it to stop if any water gets on the lens. I wouldn't buy another because I find the interface a bit of a faff, the tint is quite jarring, and the LED status light in the button is really annoying when on your head and you've set the output to low - the green/red flashing can be really quite noticeable.

I also have a Nitecore NU32, which feels very much less substantial given its all plastic construction; can't comment on its real life robustness as it gets used so infrequently. I like the red flood but that has a strange darker circle in middle of it, main white beam is impressive. I wouldn't buy another though, given the aforementioned red light spot and the integrated battery.

Reactions: RichardJackson

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Skilhunt appear to have a sale on atm, Skilhunt H200 or H300 worth considering.

Others would be ArmyTek Wizard C2, there are several variations of that.

Also probably should mention Zebralight and their H600F (F=Floody) series, but they don't have on flashlight charging.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Wurkkos announced an upcoming headlamp, the HD16. No idea when it's due but has potential to be the go to recommended headlamp light.

Spot, Flood & Red light, with a clicky dial for control.
a3gnho8x9bmd1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE