Recommendations wanted, for a round sharpening stone.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi Dave - depends on how tight the crook of the crook knife is. If it's fairly open you could use a slip stone which has two different sized radiused edges for the inside of gouges. You can often pick them up as oilstones second hand at car boots but you can also get them as water stones up to very high grits - I've got a 4000 grit which leaves a very nice edge.
if the crook is too tight, though you might not get one of those in but you could use a round diamond or ceramic sharpening rod.
To be honest though, you'll do just as good a job with the dowel and wet and dry method. It'll be a lot cheaper, you can make it up to the diameter you want and in a range of grits suitable for taking out nicks and all the way up to a shaving sharp edge.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I use a leather honing rod, just touch it up (5-10 strokes) after every 30 mins of use. Keep on top of it and it stays uber sharp :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, stick with what you have and learn to use it. Rods & cans and fine W&D papers trump stones.
I have a dozen+ crooked knives, most far better than a long-blade style Mocotaugan-style.
I do have an HBC-style Sheffield blade which might be fine for shaping but hopelessly inadequate for carving.

You might be far better off repurposing worn farrier's knives to 12 degrees or cut to the chase and buy some real Pacific Northwest
crooked knife blades from the real bladesmiths such as Kestrel Tools.
Window shopping is free this year.
http://kestreltool.com/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE