Recommend me a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
funny I sold my esee and bought 4 Moras....

Which ones, and which ESEE did you sell? I'd have given you 5 Moras for an ESEE.

I get the usability of Mora knives, but some of the handles are horrible, and many have the finger guard which can prevent the full use of blade length. I can also see why the visual aesthetics don't appeal to all. Some, like the Bushcraft see more time in the kitchen because the handles are so comfortable and secure. Thing is, I never take them camping, I probably should, I just have more pleasing knives for the surroundings to take plastic handled cheapos.

But, to Wayfarer, your budget might need to be extended. The Opi is a good choice for a folder. Look up 'Le Jardan', Garden Knife, it's a very fine leaf shaped blade that destroys tomatoes etc. It will prep your food and do simple tasks, think they're about £12.

For your fixed blade you need to do a lot more looking at what you want it to do. If you want it to split wood for the fire, then you will need a thicker blade to part the wood. It it can easily be done with a thinner blade, but you might need shaped wedges to keep the split open.

Don't buy cheap tat mate, it won't please you. If you need to, then the BG Gerbers are extremely capable, punch waaaaay over weight, and are cheap but not tat. I know a lot of people here don't like him. Well, I don't really like Gerber, and I'd happily push the pair of them off a cliff tomorrow, but I give them their due on the Compact and Paracord knives.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Fällkniven F1 is a good camping knife, you can split small wood with it.
As I wrote earlier, the Marttiini pukko design is superb for the finer tasks.
The XL sezed pukkos are traditionally used for splitting small wood too.

You should be able to find a combo of two finnish pukkos , one small and one large in a 2 knife scabbard.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
6bbb97af566f160c7cb118bc3c77d4c0.jpg

Moras. Can't beat them. Get a small one for food and a larger for general cutting / wood etc. so cheap and fantastic little knifes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need to split firewood and do kitchen prep with the same blade?
Please spare me. 40* bevel for the splitter and 20* for the kitchen. Good freakin' luck.
I suggest a wood splitter and a kitchen knife.
Then, you get to mess with the fine blade smithing that goes into each tool for its intended task.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE