Comfortable grip for medium grip
Scandi or convex grind
trusted manufacturer
Unfortunately, I only have a budget between 65-75 pounds
Best if the knife had a simple and natural look

So, some examples of knives I would buy if I had a larger budget:
Bark River Bravo 1
Fallkniven F1

I've also seen some other cheaper knives, and was wondering if they would be good:
EKA Nordic H8
Roselli Grandfather Belt Knife
Helle Eggen

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The EKA is a bit from the bushcraft school, with a ratehr hevy blade, but other than that it looks good in real life (but U have never tried it). The Roselli is good, at least once one has modified the handle (on the one I had decades ago the "guard" was way too far back on the handle). The blade profile is also not too my liking; I want bit of blade that is "more straight" bore the tip begins.

In your case I would buy a Mora (Brusletto, etc) blade and haft it myself, or have someone with a drill press do the initial work, and then carve, rasp, file and sand the handle to a desired shape.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Ifs it's a first knife, buy a mora clipper - cheap and cheerful :)
If you have a functioning knife and are looking for the next step I suggest an enzo trapper kit (blade, scales, liners and pins - put it together and file down the handle yourself) - I think that would come in bang on budget for you. I dint own one myself, but I have seen nothing but good reviews and it it's very high on my wish list.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I regularly use an Eggen, very nice knife, but I also echo what totempole said, a clipper or any one of the other moras, is a very good starting point, and often all that is really needed and can save you quite bit of money. The mora All-round range offers a bit thicker blade if that is important to you.

Dave

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Have a look into the Helle range as said... The laminated stainless steel is very impressive for sharpness and edge retention.

If its a starter knife, the good old mora's money well spent (and stupidly cheap)

al.

tasum

Forager
Mar 3, 2011
Leeds, UK
another vote for mora knives. they are cheap so you don't mind using them. then you can decide whether you need something different depending on your actual usage.

can't go wrong with mora, but there are some fantastic makers on here....:)

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
My first knife was a Mora 510, I'd recommend it to beginners and the experienced.A brilliant wee knife

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was in a local supermarket in the Lakes and on a whim I bought the collins gem SAS survival book (is any good BTW?) and last night I read one bit about knives. It said the knife style with th blade fixed to the solid handle at the end is best not the scale ones with pins through on account its better for your hands in use. What do you make of that comment? I don't think he was saying that this type allows you to shape it to your own hand better but that the scale fixed with pins can end up with the pins causing problems to you hands. I would have thought a well made scales handle wouldn't cause that problem but I am no expert and never had one (only had one fixed blade and that's a clipper).

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I was in a local supermarket in the Lakes and on a whim I bought the collins gem SAS survival book (is any good BTW?) and last night I read one bit about knives. It said the knife style with th blade fixed to the solid handle at the end is best not the scale ones with pins through on account its better for your hands in use. What do you make of that comment? I don't think he was saying that this type allows you to shape it to your own hand better but that the scale fixed with pins can end up with the pins causing problems to you hands. I would have thought a well made scales handle wouldn't cause that problem but I am no expert and never had one (only had one fixed blade and that's a clipper).

Well considering this is his own personally designed tool i guess he has changed his mind a little. It is down to personal preference, there a lot of threads here discussing the pros and cons of each from differing perspectives.

Lofty's tool.
5813.jpg

Last edited:

GreatNutmeg

Jun 24, 2011
Australia
Thanks for all the help!
I have decided to get an Enzo Trapper or Enzo Elver because Mora is too hard to get for me :(
so it comes down to scandi or convex?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE