Recommend me a Goretex Jacket

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Looking for a Gore-tex jacket for my dad mainly for dogwalking in the rain day and night on varying terrain.

needs to be fairly tough, have a Hood and budget is around £200.

what do you recommend?

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've used a Craghoppers goretex jacket for several years, and it's great. I've been out in all sorts and through all sorts in it and it still looks like new.

It's the only goretex jacket I've ever had, so I can't compare, but I'm always dry in it, and it's never clammy.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Cotswold are having a sale at the moment (as are lots of other places), and I've been pleased with the Berghaus Suilven I got a couple of years back - 2 layer Goretex, and pathc pockets. Thats not available now, but its based on the well known Cornice II http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-mens-long-cornice-ii-jacket-a1113262?id_colour=97 . The patch pockets are useful, and the wired hood is good. Not too heavy, but reasonably tough.

You can get cheaper as well - Sprayway, for instance, is a bit of an underconsidered brand. Best thing is to go and have a look, try them on and ask questions.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
If I were looking for a waterproof jacket I would not be looking at Goretex I would look at Two dogs of this parish and go for one of his wax cotton jackets. Far better in my opinion.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
You can pick up a keela munro for around £140. Definitely at the heavier end of waterproofs but they're built like a tank.

Tonyuk

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Go outdoors are doing the Sprayway Quorum for £170 at the min. Goretex and very warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi, I've been using the Craghoppers Kiwi Goretex jacket for a little while now and can recommend it. It's kept me dry in some torrential downpours, is long enough to cover your backside and therefore anything you might carry in your trouser pockets. It also allows you to zip in a fleece for layering up. Best of all though I'd that it's currently on offer at Black's for £99

bowji john

Silver Trader
Consider 'ventile' or any close weave cotton plus wax as an alternative

Far longer lasting

gortex has its place where clothing must be light - e.g mountain climbing

I have and had both for many years, however...

For the rough and tumble of outdoor / country living I would go for natural materials

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Keela Munro gets my vote. Extremely hard wearing, very waterproof and with good ventilation if it's warm and wet.

I have an Arcteryx Alpha SV and love it to bits but it's way over budget and probably a bit too technical.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
£40.00 can get you a NEW black MTP Guards coat on ebay (you will also find it for £75.00) if you want. The hood clicks off with poppers.

It also has a detachable liner so can be used summer or winter.

It's much more heavy duty than the the Craghoppers I got for £65.00 here http://www.sportsdirect.com/craghoppers-caywood-gtx-jacket-mens-442003?colcode=44200303

Also in Large for £87.00

The Guards coats will take abuse the craghoppers (yet to be thorughly tested, but is certainly beading water) would fit in a Trouser side pocket and comes with a pouch about this size with a belt loop. Very Handy.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Although its all fine to look on the net, etc, I would suggest going to a proper shop, either independent, or a chain like Cotswolds or Go Outdoors, and actually trying some on. A Large is not always a large, the hood might drive you nuts, the pockets might be fiddly for you, etc. You shouldn't buy boots, shoes, beds, suits, packs, coats, suites or TV's without looking at them first - they have to fit and work for you (or your dad!).

As for materials, its up to the individual, but having had/have waxed cotton, LA Triplepoint, AQ2 (berghaus), Hyvent (TNF) and now 2 layer Goretex, the Goretex works best for me. You don't have to spend a fortune, but a good waterproof isn't ever a waste of money in the UK.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
£40.00 can get you a NEW black MTP Guards coat on ebay (you will also find it for £75.00)

My local surplus store had used, but good guards jackets for £25(and new one IIRC £40) today and RAF (VGC) for £30, although these don't have hoods.
They may have also had some OG Austrian M65 Goretex jackets, but the owner was not in so I could not confirm if they were or not.

Not sure where the OP is in Kent, this shop is just across the Dartford crossing in Essex

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Gore Tex? Cough... Splutter... Heresy... blah blah blah. Use that and the world will blow up and yer heed fall off blah blah blah...Non fire resistant for those times when you are rolling through the fire and that...Ad Infinitum.

Quite like the MTP pattern lightweight army jacket in the stuff actually, No hood but I wear hats anyway which I prefer and always cheapish on Ebay.
Then I have one my cable jointer mate gave me.
Its flame resistant (Hah, In Yer Face, Ventile obsessives), lecky resistant (cable jointers wear em) waterproof (obviously, as its Gore tex) but to be fair its also Hi Vis Yellow which may be a problem to some.
Good for work though.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
£40.00 can get you a NEW black MTP Guards coat on ebay (you will also find it for £75.00) if you want. The hood clicks off with poppers.

It also has a detachable liner so can be used summer or winter.

It's much more heavy duty than the the Craghoppers I got for £65.00 here http://www.sportsdirect.com/craghoppers-caywood-gtx-jacket-mens-442003?colcode=44200303

Also in Large for £87.00

The Guards coats will take abuse the craghoppers (yet to be thorughly tested, but is certainly beading water) would fit in a Trouser side pocket and comes with a pouch about this size with a belt loop. Very Handy.

best pictures here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-JACKE...517679?hash=item1c641a1eaf:g:hz0AAOSwQjNW-WwY

best range of sizes here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproo...02d7b1e&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=121938517679

I searched on MOD Guard Jacket

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE