Recommend me a catapult

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im looking for a small but powerful catapult for plinking and target practice on my permission that is easily carried in your pocket (I will already be carring a lard **** HW80 with me), so no wrist supported black widows etc. Possibly something theraband powered and I really dont want to spend more than about £20 unless there is a must have, Rolls Royce of the catty world.

I seem to be drawing a blank now Hunter Catapults have stopped trading, so what do people recommend these days?

Thanks for your time,
Leon

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I was given this by my Father,

9600357135_fab0dd249d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He cut it from an Ash tree when he was about 12 years old (so about 70 years old now) It uses square elastics. Otherwise I would get one made using Theraband Gold strapping as it is fantastic...

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I was given this by my Father,

9600357135_fab0dd249d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He cut it from an Ash tree when he was about 12 years old (so about 70 years old now) It uses square elastics. Otherwise I would get one made using Theraband Gold strapping as it is fantastic...

Thats really smart Wingstoo. Nice piece of ash - I doubt I could walk through the woods all day and not find anything near as good. :) Do you know where I can get the theraband from?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've just had one made, a black micarta milbro type frame By Greatbear of this Parish, used at the Suffolk Meet this weekend and Had some fun with it... quite powerful,

DSC_0105.jpg

One satisfied Customer Here :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That looks spot on Big Stu. How long is the frame, easily pocketable?

What are peoples thoughts on the ideal ammo for a single theraband catty?

From top to bottom 5" and 3 1/8 across the top of the Y and 3?8" thick :), I ve got a double teraband on it and have been using M* nuts for practice and they fly well :).... I'll keep the lead shot for the real action... when I good enough.. :)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I bought a big bag of M8 nuts for practice, found the M10 to big and bulky...

I need to set up a practice range though, a good old heavy blanket to catch the M8s in as they get a bit expensive to fire into the yonder without being able to retrieve them.

Also going to get some clay to form targets from to put on a rod to keep them a foot above the ground...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I bought a big bag of M8 nuts for practice, found the M10 to big and bulky...

I need to set up a practice range though, a good old heavy blanket to catch the M8s in as they get a bit expensive to fire into the yonder without being able to retrieve them.

Also going to get some clay to form targets from to put on a rod to keep them a foot above the ground...

I got mine form Tool station, £1.52 for a bag of 100

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Nuts+Washers/Hexagon+Steel+Nut+M8/d90/sd920/p10063

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
M8 nuts, thats a great idea for cheap plentiful ammo for plinking! - Thanks chaps. :) I dont think I need clay targets yet though, unless they are barn door sized. :D

I really like the sound of your micarta catty Big Stu, its just what Im after. I think Im gonna give it a bash myself first and see how it turns out. Hopefully I wont end up with too many M8 nut related injuries...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I found I've hardly used any nuts, just walk around, and you can find them on the floor as they are shiny :)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Sadly not so easy in woodland areas though Stu, especially when trying to hit those American tree rats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE