Recommend Compact Camera***

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
Im heading off in the newyear trekking around the coast of Ireland with my Bivy.
I dont wanna take my Canon 40d with me due to weight and id rather not get it damaged or stolen.
Unfortunely I dont have my G9 anymore either ( Canone accident ) lol

Can any one recommend a decent compact camera for the outdoors for under £150 thats pocket sized and preferably takes SD cards.

Thanks for your help guys

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I have an Ixus 70, which I am really pleased with, I should think you could get it for less than £150 or probably get an updated version

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Finepix F50-- Great-- !2 mega pixels lots of settings. My pal who is a professional Photographer says it is on a par with one of his digital SLR's which cost several grand a
few years ago. It was exactly £150 but recommended price was around £200
Certainly worth a look., and isvery light and slim.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi there.

I took a Panasonic TZ3 when I went to Nepal last year.

I did think about a DSLR, but the weight and smallness was a deciding factor- did not regret it once- I got some amazing pics of Mt Everest and the Khumbu Valley.

As above, f you want sample pics, just PM me.

I know the TZ5 is out, but TBH- the TZ3 was amazing and would buy it again in a heartbeat if I lost it and could not afford the latest version.

Have a great time in Ireland

ATB

KP

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi,
I use a Pentax Optio compact,8.0 Megapixels,3x Optical Zoom and 6.3mm-18.9mm lens.
Excellent photo quality, all for around £100,I think was what I paid for mine.
I don't go into the woods without it!!!! :lmao:

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Fuji F30 is excellent; developing something of a "cult" following now it is discontinued. As you are probably aware, the megapixel count is less relevant than the quality of those pixels! Sensor size/noise/low light performance etc. Some manufacturers (Fuji included) used to describe a camera as having "3 megapixels" when it had half that number but doubled it using software to guess what was in the gaps between pixels. Pic quality and low light performance suffered.

Pros: small, good battery life, enough modes (including reasonable level of maual control), excellent low light performance and cheap if you can find it, good pic quality -not overly processed "in-camera".

Cons: XD card (not a con for me), no RAW output (only Jpeg), no viewfinder (screen only), "standard" zoom range (wider is nice to have for pocket camera), zoom is stepped (the buttons don't give "infinite" control), slow deletion of pics, can't zoom during video.

I quite fancied that waterproof/shockproof olympus (the ad on TV had the toddler and the dog flinging it about). Played with that model, which my cousin had, but haven't seen enough to comment on pic quality.

Hope you have a good time.

Xav

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I bought myself a new compact camera in November, just ahead of a month long trip to Canada & USA.
I was all set to buy a Panasonic Lumix FX35 until a mate turned up with one, and also a Canon Ixus to compare with it.
I ended up with a Canon Ixus 85 and it is absolutely stonking. One thing for extended journeys is that it has a viewfinder. This means that you can turn off the screen (which is the main drain on the battery) and just click landscapes through the viewfinder, doubling the life of your battery charge. 10MP, easy to use, saves movies in .avi rather than Panasonic's iplayer format, excellent build quality.
I was initially swayed by the Panasonic having a 'Leica' lens, but like Sony's 'Zeiss' these are made under license in Japan. Canon make excellent lenses.
After purchase I found this (excellent) site which rates it top for a compact camera:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/canon-ixus-85-is.cfm

The site also has a camera selector which helps you choose based on features + price.
Given the choice again I'd still go for my Ixus 85.
It's about £130 at amazon.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE