Recommend a SS or Ally eqivalent of Ti-Lite/MSR type mugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Hi all, looking for a good quality aluminium or preferably stainless version of the tall-ish Ti mugs that are getting quite popular. Needs to be tall enough to accept an MOD rat pack and would like a lid too if possible like the Ti-Lite, not too struck on the Tatonka as the handles are the same as my volcano stove mug. Oh and I'd like it to comfortably nest a 1L Sigg with a few mm to spare for a wind shield wrapped around it!

Let me know what you recommend folks, cheers :)

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Isn't thast like asking for Cheryl Cole, but with a fat backside and acne ;-) ?

In answer to the question, Snow Peak do most of their stuff in aluminium too (someone here was flogging an alu trek 900 a while back) - though you'll have to get it from the states. They're cheap though.

MSR do some of their alpine range of pots in SS - you can get them from Snow and Rock (or could last time I went) - they're more like small billies though.

The snow peak trek 700 is the right size for rat pack meals, and comes with a lid, but I can't see it in aluminium anywhere - searches gimpnet - ah this is why
http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cookware/aluminum.html
The trek 900 is cool though - better for some of the burners with a wide flame, and a "pan" for a plate.

BTW - any of those - and the 600ml snow peak mug (but not the 450ml double walled one) comfortably fit the 1l sigg - I just tried them.
(more googling)
FWIW Here's the trek 900 ali for $17.98 in the states. Didn't look at postage.
http://www.basegear.com/snow-peak-trek-900-aluminum.html

Last edited:

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I'd still tackle her ;)

Just not quite convinced with Ti stuff to be honest, price isn't really the issue as I think some of the Ti pots are pretty reasonable, I just like stainless :)

Thanks for all that, I'll have a proper read through and digest it later this evening.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
MSR do some nice looking SS pots. The ones that lock shut with the handle. Most good outdoors shops should still stock them IF they do stock MSR that is. You tend to find shops have different ranges. Take the climbershop in Ambleside. They keep changing their rangeof camp stuff partly to take consideration of trends but also according to the best deal they get from the distributors I guess.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Army crusader mug takes a rat pack meal, and you could dump the sigg bottle and match the cup to an army 1 litre bottle?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Army crusader mug takes a rat pack meal, and you could dump the sigg bottle and match the cup to an army 1 litre bottle?

and have a plastic cup to drink a brew whilst the food is heating. Only bit of surplus kit I use on a regular basis. THat said I've been using a small Al billy that a wisperlite and small gas cylinders fit in recently. Still with issue bottle and plastic cup.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Ok so I might have changed my mind a little, actually pretty much 180 degrees!

Now looking at a Gelert Intensity and a Vargo Ti-Lite mug as it seems like a nice setup with a wind shield added. Do the T-Lite mugs accept a ration pack meal with the lid on? Say if I folded it in half and bent it around the mug?

Sorry for the daft questions, I just want to get it right first time!

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I don't particularly want Ti but I've yet to find something of the size/style of the Ti-Lite etc mug. I like the idea of the crusader but can't be arsed messing about with hexi/trioxane/gel/meths stove to get a brew on, I like the speed and cleanliness of gas for when I'm out climbing or walking and if I'm in a fixed camp I'd like to be able to use the same cup as I would on a stove (unfortunately ruling out the jetboil PCS).

I already have the Swiss Army Volcano stove and in my opinion it's superior in design to the Crusader/Warrior but as much as I love it, it's not quite what I'm looking for although I'm yet to try it with trioxane.

Sorry to seem unsure about what I want and thanks for your help :)

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I haven't got the ti-lite, the nearest is the snow peak trek 700, which just about allows you to boil a rat pack meal in enough liquid for a brew and wedge the lid on. However, the following two websites have the ti-lite as substantially smaller (85x105mm vs 105x128mm). I'm thinking that must be wrong though, as the ti-lite holds 50ml more. Maybe we're talking inner vs outer dimensions. ** Edit - just noticed they fit the same caldera cone, so it should be fine

http://www.moontrail.com/snowpeak-trek-700-titanium.php
http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/i...2F484505-FF29-08BD-48EC3316FD543290&ref=gbase

Why do you need Titanium? its a crap material for a pot.
Because it's light and strong? Does its thermal properties really matter in practice? Thats an question, by the way. My other pots are so different in shape as to make comparison difficult.

Last edited:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I don't particularly want Ti but I've yet to find something of the size/style of the Ti-Lite etc mug. I like the idea of the crusader but can't be arsed messing about with hexi/trioxane/gel/meths stove to get a brew on, I like the speed and cleanliness of gas for when I'm out climbing or walking and if I'm in a fixed camp I'd like to be able to use the same cup as I would on a stove (unfortunately ruling out the jetboil PCS).

Not sure I understand, why you can't use the Crusader on your gas stove? Not that I am advocating the Crusader especially, but I prefer it (on my primus/optimus stoves) to my MSR titanium kettle because the handles on the Crusader extend that much further from the mug making it easier to handle when hot, or if I have flames blowing about from a wood burning stove. I have no plans of using it with hexi/trioxane/gel but it works very well with a White Box meths stove.

But the Crusader is more than twice the weight of the Ti options and the Patt 54 water bottle is heavier than a wide topped Nalgene, so its not the best choice if weight is an issue. Equally, if you buy a new Crusader/bottle, plus a hand made lid its coming close to the cost of the Ti/Nalgene option.

Graham

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have stainless in Crusader which comes out a lot, but when I hit the hills I go Ti as I'm lazy. Stainless evenly distributes heat better and holds a brew warmer a little longer IMHO - when you sit a Ti pot on a gas stove you can see it coiling above the actual flames of the burner.

That said, I'm moving more towards the Ti as it fits my nalgene and weighs almost nowt -the Alpkit mug is the one I use, inside my Everlast nesting kit.

That said for car camping, it has to be cast iron when I can.

The only one I don't like is Alu, mainly because it dents so easily and is then a bugger to get the mug back in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE