Recommend a sleeping mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
On Ebay there is a "5 Season Military Forces Sleeping Mat /Camping Roll Bed" for £10.95 including delivery. Any good?

What does "5 Season" mean by the way - belt and braces for the 4 we have...?

I also saw a Dutch forces one on one of the surplus websites that looked quite thick so could be good too.

Recommendations? Thanks.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Hmmm, it's a 1cm thick roll mat. Closed cell mats are warm, but I prefer the open cell self-inflating style as they're more comfortable IMO.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I love my slim Airic from Alpkit. I've used it in a tent, with a bivi bag and partly inflated in a hammock (and the living room floor too...)

Excellent bit of kit, far superior to "normal" roll mats.

ShieldsOnTour

Oct 5, 2009
Edinburgh
I got one of the Dutch mats from Santa this year ( I must have been a very good boy on '09 as I got a great haul of camping gear ). I've not used the mat yet (well its -20c at the moment) but it is very thick and very soft - looks like an awesome bit of kit.

I will post a little review when I manage to get out with it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I use a Multimat Summit XL, here, which has a good temp' range, -60°C to +60°C, and is a good size, 1850mm x 575mm x 12mm.

In addition to my Summit, I use the NeoAir Large, 77in/196cm x 25in/63cm x 2.5in/6.3cm here.

It works for me.
happy0054.gif

CM-EU012XL_Blk_Gold-Expedition-Summit-XL-Mat.jpg
tar_neoair_angle.jpg

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hmmm, it's a 1cm thick roll mat. Closed cell mats are warm, but I prefer the open cell self-inflating style as they're more comfortable IMO.

I cm does not sounds like a thick one to me. I currently have two; one 14 mm from Fjällräven about 15 years ago, and a Ridgerest, which is similair in effective thickness. If I have thre space I carry either both, or one and a reindeer hide. In winter always a double combo, and spruce underneath.

A pad 1 cm is a 3-season pad, unless your 5 seasons are; temperate spring, temperate summer, temperate autumn, tropical jungle and desert.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've not tried the Airic yet from Alpkit but hear a lot of good things about them. I've always used a Thermarest and find them excellent however my Wife still feels the cold through them so I've just bought her an Exped down filled inflatable mat... see how that goes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've not tried the Airic yet from Alpkit but hear a lot of good things about them. I've always used a Thermarest and find them excellent however my Wife still feels the cold through them so I've just bought her an Exped down filled inflatable mat... see how that goes.

It's the best innovation yet :approve: SWMBO will love it :) It's not only confortable, it's warm, and it's large enough not to slip off when turning over too.

I have a grey one. It's good.

Seriously, it's just a sleeping mat, go buy a closed cell one.

The closed cell ones are brilliant for their simplicity, their waterproofness, total lack of fuss or bother and they're dirt cheap.
I would say that 10mm is pretty skimpy by todays standards though, and if it's to be your primary mat, aim to get a thicker one.

cheers,
Toddy

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I use a Multimat Summit XL, here, which has a good temp' range, -60°C to +60°C, and is a good size, 1850mm x 575mm x 12mm.

The Multimats are very expensive closed cell foam mats, are they really that much more insulating than the cheap standard EVA mats found everywhere?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My old Thermarest 3/4 is considered rather heavy by current standards, but remains comfy and reliable. Whenever I wanted to save weight or carry something puncture-proof I opted for a cut-down RidgeRest instead.

Last year I took part in the TGO Challenge walk across Scotland and carried a fairly cheap Thermarest copy from Decathlon (cost about £16, I think), much lighter than my Thermarest but a little heavier than the foam pad. Worked a treat and so far has proved very durable.

With closed-cell mats the expensive versions do tend to be a little more insulating, but they're also often considerably more durable. I've seen cheap ones flatten out quickly and then remain flat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE