Recommend a knife sharpener

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I have some sharpening stones which are good for getting my initial grind on the knife blades but I want to further sharpen them to be razer sharp. My stones are 1000/2000 grit but I'd like something just to finish it off and that I can use on my kitchen knives.

Any help appreciated.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Try having a look at British reds five pound sharpening kit, just change the grades of paper if you want finer grits.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
After 1000 grit why not switch to a strop?

What are you cutting?

For kitchen knives, I reckon sharpening on 250 grit then stropping gives a great edge. For wood carving, go through the grades.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
After 1000 grit why not switch to a strop?

What are you cutting?

For kitchen knives, I reckon sharpening on 250 grit then stropping gives a great edge. For wood carving, go through the grades.

Yeah, kind of what I was thinking too.. Unless of course you're one of those sushi chef guys who cut wafer thin fish.

And that '£5' sharpening kit is kind of off, one sheet of fine grit wet n dry round here is about £1 and they do not last very long. I personally don't think they are very good either, unless you have loads of grits and flat blocks to mount them all on and space to keep them all lol.

Best off investing your time and effort (and pocket money) on a stone and strop, stones can be had for pennies or pounds and a strop the same.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I cut wafer thin strips of fish and meat for pickling and smoking.

After 1000 grit and 2000 grit I would normally go to 6000 grit but since that isn't an option now due to funds and my daughter kindly breaking it (by accident), I'm looking for a cheaper option.

Apr 28, 2015
London
Since I use them for my Pfeil chisels my kitchen blades get an occasional edge too. It might be worth checking the local hackerspaces, it's the kind of thing they will have, perhaps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE