Recommend a good waterproof cold weather jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 20, 2013
United Kingdom
Halo

How is it goin?
Hope ya all doin well in the hills, mountains, forest and the outdoors.

I am in search for a good as in really waterproof jacket that can also be used to keep warmth during winter?
Not able to afford anything above 60 quid unfortunately.
So I understand my options are quite limited.
Anybody has a good suggestion or even one that they wanna get rid off (ma size is 36-38 inch chest)
Will probably be needed before the 14th of October as I am travelling soon.

Thanks.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You will find it very difficult to get a good quality waterproof and warm jacket for that price range I'm afraid - Sports Direct sell the Karrimor range which includes what they call 3-in-1 jackets , ie. a waterproof shell with a fleece liner, for around £50 but the quality of current Karrimor stuff is variable. Some is good, some .... not so. If you jump budget slightly , for £80 you could get this

http://www.military1st.co.uk/10615002-mil-tec-ecwcs-jacket-with-fleece-black.html

similar concept but a better outer jacket, much more useable design, available in different colours/camo

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You can get some Ridgeline jackets at a bargain price on Ebay sometimes, several on there at the moment for less than or just a tenner more than your budget. I personally dislike lined jackets as they are not as flexible and I tend to overheat in much more than a shell in this country 90% of the time. So my suggestion would be a second hand or bargain price Ridgeline and wear a jumper underneath when it's cold!

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I got myself the previous model to this not long ago http://www.regatta.com/xert/axe-edge-3-in-1-jacket.html. It has a liner that is more like sleeping bag material instead of fleece, my main issue with the fleece/softshell was that it doesn't compress well.

The version I have is labeled as having a 10000 XPT both in and out although I will wager these numbers are high compared to real world use. However I did make great use of it last month on a mountain marathon, the outer shell was perfect and felt 100% windproof at the summits, yet didn't leave me sweaty like gortex. The liner was worn at the overnight campsite and kept me near sweating point happily on its own. Also a nice small feature is the hood has a slight peak, small enough to still roll away yet large enough to give you that extra protection in heavy rain.

If you scout the outdoor shops you could get lucky as they will be now shifting old stock off, I got my one for £60 down from the £140 it was being sold at near the beginning of this year so bargin for me.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Go and have a look in TKMax, my wife picked up a regatta 3-1 jobbie a couple of years back for about £15

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i can second both tkmax and go outdoors, they both have some great bargains but you do have to visit on a regular basis until you find what you're looking for. don't be put off by labels etc, if it has what you want and is comfortable, go for it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Get a blue ebay buffalo parka and a goretex shell... if you're walking hard, put the parka in your bag.

In the winter I try to remain comfortably cold... that feeling on a spring evening when you think to yourself "in half an hour, i'll pop inside and get a fleece on" that's the feeling I go for in the winter when i'm working. When I stop, I then dress up warm.

The buffalo parka I got on ebay is lovely and warm and I think it was only £20.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE