Recomended tarp eyelet punch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Hello,

I just tried using a grommet/eyelet set from my local diy shop. Pretty dismal, its the kind that has a plastic clip to hold the anvil and ball pein. The results are not pleasing. Can any of the talented folk here recommend a kit with perhaps a separate anvil and hammer, the hammer piece being holdable in the hand, rather than fitting into a device that anyway brings the pein down at an angle?

cheers,

Martin

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
For small eyelets the plier type do a decent enough job, for the bigger ones I've used the type you describe but found I had to "finish" the job with a small toffee hammer on a flat surface running round each eyelet. Commercial eyelets are normally fitted using a bench press, which looks like a pillar drill. I'm fairly fortunate living next to a marina cos if I need some big eyelets fitted I take the workpiece down to a local sailmaker who can fit them in minutes.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I was thinking about trying to contact a pro too. Half the problem is that the inside of the eye is rough; I'd have to file or brush each one to prevent chafing the cord in use.

leon-1

What sized eyelets are you talking about?

Have a look at getting some from LePrevo as they do ones for sails and the like. The hipkiss ones come as a kit, so you get the setting tool in there.

Failing that you could try the local haberdashery store as they hold loads of wierd and wonderfull's in the way of kits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE