Recomendations sought for a draw knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
Hi all, I'm wanting to buy a draw knife for rough shaping of wood, preparing blanks etc. I definately don't want to spend big money on something outstanding as I will be learning to use and care for it as I go. However I don't want something so cheap it is near useless or will not last. There is an auction house near that sells boxes of tools quite regularly and quite cheap (often less than £10) and am happy to take a punt at that price if one comes up (I'm sure some did before I was looking for one...) in a box. Failing that what are your recommendations? New or second hand but with confidence it is going to be worth having.
Thanks in advance!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one of these and have been happy with it.

Reactions: Dai

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought a Stubai draw knife in an estate sale. $35.00CDN (and approx $60.00CDN new).
Very pleased with it for rounding square posts for wood carving poles.

Reactions: Dai

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
Thanks both. Robson Valley do you know which Stubai it is? They seem to be £20 and up here with the 'more refined' looking ones starting at about £35-40.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a Ray Ilse - very pleased with it; it can be used either way up for roughing out or fine cutting. Obviously, you need to decide the style handles you want to use; some are so 'angled' that it's difficult to use the knife both ways up. As long as it's a good steel that will take and hold an edge, you shouldn't have a problem. I would tend to go for a known make old or new.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No sir, I do not. They did a sloppy job of painting the red handles.
Nobody sees that but me.

Total included bevel angle is 25 degrees. Worked bevel up.
Good steel that holds an edge considering the hacking and chopping
that a draw knife is expected to do. Easily maintained.

This guy has a variety in his business, mostly caters to the log home building people.
He makes big log-peeling drawknives, 4 dozen at a time.

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
Thanks again for the input. I am now closing in on a decision (do nothing in haste...) to get a Ray Iles small draw knife www.workshopheaven.com/ray-iles-small-drawknife.html I am thinking the smaller size will suit as I don't plan to use it on anything too big, it will be slightly easier to transport, and potentially in time I will be giving children a chance to use it. Am I failing to see any major drawbacks of not getting the large? Thanks in advance.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For debarking (potential) walking sticks and canes and other smallish wood carving projects, a 6" blade edge will be enough.

While you're at it, consider buying a spoke shave with the knurled adjusting nuts.
Set right, it will kiss off the ridges left behind by the draw knife.
You have far better control over shaving thickness.
I have two Samona (S. Korea) spoke shaves set for thick and thin.
Very economical and very good steel. Fit and finish terrible but fixable.
I have pulled them about a mile in birch to do spoon and fork handles.
They "sing" in the wood, you can hear it. Maybe $17.00 each in our village hardware store.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE