Rechargeable batteries

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Summary for those who value brevity:
1. I've been using rechargeable batteries when camping, very successfully.
2. Maplin do a nice range - I've nothing to do with the company but I adore them.
3. It's a little costlier at the outset but relative cost per use drops over time and in the
long term I think they are much better value.
4. They might be better for the environment but I'm not wholly convinced.

***************************************************************************************************

I've recently made the move from Duracell and M+S own brand (excellent) batteries to
rechargeable ones from Maplin - this is because I was getting through an awful lot of them
with my camera (2xAAA) and CD walkman (2xAA) and there was, until just now, no easy
way to recycle them (some London boroughs are now making it easier to dispose of used
batteries and are presumably doing something useful with them but I don't know what).

I am not really sure if recharging batteries is that much greener than buying new and
disposing in a recycling bin as you have to put the batteries in the charger on the mains
supply to get the power in the first place so I suppose the only obvious environmental
benefit is that fewer noxious chemicals are used / released in their production as they
are locked in to the product for longer (the battery lifetime is longer) and in lower volume
(you use fewer of them over time, as they are reused!).

The batteries are around two times as expensive as non-rechargeable ones but I've used
and charged them a few times now and they don't owe me any money - as far as I'm
aware they've got rather a lot of life in them and so the long-term cost will be considerably
less. I've also noticed that they're very very good - they seem to hold charge well and
perform well for longer than some other batteries I've used. Perhaps over time this will
drop off but so far there have been no problems.

When I first went off on a course and was taking a headtorch (3xAAA) with me as well as
my camera I thought this would be a good time to get a bit of a system in order.

I have a cheap camera from Woolies, a Sony Walkman CD player and an Alpkit
headtorch - the camera and CD player have moving parts and use a lot of power (so
with heavy use I expect to change the batteries on an every other day basis in some
cases).

My system is very simple - buy batteries in two different colours so that your fresh spares
look different from any used ones! Failing that keep them in different compartments but
there's always the danger that the headtorch might fail in the dark anyway in which case
it would be a case of trial and error! Fortunately Maplin do a variety of own-brand products
and as far as I can tell they are largely interchangeable (as long as the battery type - in
terms of chemicals involved) are the same. Some rechargeable batteries might have to
be used only in their own recharger.

Jo

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well i have also been changing mine battery collection to rechargeable's. I personally use Lows Self Discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries, because they are more reliable in the long term and they will hold there charge even beter the disposable Alkalines batteries. (Sanyo Eneloops, GP ReCycko)

Combined with a inteligent charger, which will meassure each battery seperatly and charge each individual battery to there max. This prevent you from charging batteries unbalanced, because each cell is charged seperatly.

Using rechargables is much more enviormently friendly, because you reduce the materials used and charging a NiMH uses a lot LESS power than the manufacturing and distrubiing of alkalines. A lot cheaper too, in the long run.

btw, you forgot to mention the superior discharge rate of NiMH.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
I get all my rechargeables from www.7dayshop.com
AA 2800mAh £4.29 for a set of four.
Postage is a bit pricey though - but I was buying 4 sets (Headtorch, Wii, etc, etc, etc) so it worked out great value.

Thats a hoax, even the mayor manufactures don't have NiMH with more than 2700 mAH. And the 2700mAH that are sold from large manufactures with a good reputation, have problems. These high capacity batteries have a tendency to have insane self discharge rates after a couple of charges and discharges. Which means they they can loose all of the power in less than a month (after more than a dozen charges).

"cheap" batteries with very high capacity are usually, just batteries wiith a much lower capacity relabed by a chinese company. Adding a few figures, will make them self a lot quicker.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
>>btw, you forgot to mention the superior discharge rate of NiMH.

Only cos I didn't know :p
I think mine are NiMH. Might have to look into the upgraded version if mine don't
last long term.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have been using rechargable nimh batterys for a while now, and I think they are superb. Yes they do discharge fairly quickly, but when in the camera or torch etc, the power goes on and on and these bunnies would be on the top of that mountain when those duracell batterys were running flat on the scree slopes...... I have got me a solar charger and a battery charger that plugs into it now so I can charge on the go......

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
well i have also been changing mine battery collection to rechargeable's. I personally use Lows Self Discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries, because they are more reliable in the long term and they will hold there charge even beter the disposable Alkalines batteries. (Sanyo Eneloops, GP ReCycko)

Combined with a inteligent charger, which will meassure each battery seperatly and charge each individual battery to there max. This prevent you from charging batteries unbalanced, because each cell is charged seperatly.

Using rechargables is much more enviormently friendly, because you reduce the materials used and charging a NiMH uses a lot LESS power than the manufacturing and distrubiing of alkalines. A lot cheaper too, in the long run.

btw, you forgot to mention the superior discharge rate of NiMH.

An intelligent charger makes a lot of difference to the usable charge put into the battery as compared to a quick charger.

Something it might be worth noting is the the NIMH and NiCd batteries are only 1.2V rather than 1.5V as ocassionally you come across equipment that really does need the full 1.5V per battery. eg it takes 10 NiMH to get 12V as opposed to the expected 8. All is not lost on the rechargable front though as, if you search around, you can get rechargable Alkaline batteries, with their own special charger giving the full 1.5V each. Not sure what mAh capacity they go up to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE