Rechargeable AA batts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I also bought Eneloop batteries some time ago, based on all good reviews over at CPF. Especially the Voltage curves are interesting: they outperform alkaline batteries :)
Got them from this online shop: http://www.nkon.nl/

That's a fair price (not sure if there is shipping charges to add?), but it's about the same as ebay uk - they seem to work out at about £11 for 4.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I may have to get some XX Loops to try. I don't really need the extra capacity as I usually have a spare set of batteries to hand for whatever torch, radio or other gadget I'm using.

8 XX Loops would be great in one of those multi AA torches like the Fenix TK40/41/45. One of these is on my want list even though I have several other size lights that run on lithium but the appeal of using AA's is substantial.

Steve.

Steve.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I may have to get some XX Loops to try. I don't really need the extra capacity as I usually have a spare set of batteries to hand for whatever torch, radio or other gadget I'm using.

8 XX Loops would be great in one of those multi AA torches like the Fenix TK40/41/45. One of these is on my want list even though I have several other size lights that run on lithium but the appeal of using AA's is substantial.

Steve.

Steve.
To be honest, if Shewie hadn't of said that money was no object, I wouldn't suggest them. They are hellishly expensive for what they deliver and they have fewer recharge cycles than regular loops, so they burn out sooner. The main advantage is they have 25% more capacity than regular loops, so you can carry less of them - or the same amount for a longer runtime. But how critical is 25% more battery life? If it is critical, fair enough, but I doubt it is for most people. It certainly isn't for me. I've got a dozen of em, so fine, but I wouldn't buy more unless I was going on a solo Arctic expedition or something - in which case, I'd probably get AA lithiums anyway. Similarly, if you are going on a week long trip and just need more juice, it'd make more sense to get cheaper, higher capacity rechargeables that are not low self discharge and just charge em all before you go - they wont self discharge in a week. The advantage of loops over ordinary rechargeables, is that you can leave em lying around in torches and radios and they will still work months later, whereas ordinary rechargeables will probably just self discharge to flat or near flat in that time. But I'm not sure premium, high capacity batteries are all that much of a benefit for that sort of application.

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
That's a good price, shame they havent got the eneloop XX's though.
Yeah, I had a look myself, still ended up buying another 4 2000mAh ones though :rolleyes:

They also do their own branded "Good To Go" batteries that are supposed to be Eneloop equivalents, but are listed as 2100mAh and are even cheaper
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=107341

Component Shop list their 'Vapex Instant' batteries as Eneloop equivalents, with the 2500mAh ones stated to have the same performance as the 'Eneloop XX'
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/aa.html

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can I have a dummies guide to batts chaps, you've lost me with the mAh stuff I'm afraid :(

I'm looking to run my Zebralight H51, Fenix L2D CE, digital cameras & GPS

I take it the higher the mAh number the higher the power/performance? Are some better than others for holding a charge, or the amount of recharges in a lifetime?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Can I have a dummies guide to batts chaps, you've lost me with the mAh stuff I'm afraid :(

I'm looking to run my Zebralight H51, Fenix L2D CE, digital cameras & GPS

I take it the higher the mAh number the higher the power/performance? Are some better than others for holding a charge, or the amount of recharges in a lifetime?

Yes mate, that's essentially it. The numbers are milliamp-hour and basically a measurement of how much juice you can squeeze into a rechargeable battery. The chemistry maxes out at about 3000 mAh. Most of the rechargeables these days are nickel–metal hydride, abbreviated NiMH and have a better life, lower memory effect and higher capacity than the older NiCad's which should be avoided. But high capacity NiMH batteries of up to 3000 mAh have a tendency to self discharge and loose a lot of that juice just sitting on a shelf. Sanyo - and now other makes too - started to amke some NiMH rechargeables with super pure chemistry that held their charge much longer and branded them eneloops. These Low Self Discharge batteries are more expensive than regular rechargeables, but they will hang on to the charge for many months, even years. For this reason, they are the only type of rechargeable battery that is sold already charged up and ready to use off the shelf. The down side is that they dont quite hole as much juice - usually around 2000 mAh. Recently, Sanyo have bought out some super pure versions of these super pure batteries called eneloop XX's andf these have an advertised capacity of 2500 mAh and therefore should last 25% longer than 2000 mAh eneloops - the down side to these is that they are expensive and that you cant recharge them as many times before they die - and also that they are physically heavy batteries. If you are not bothered about recharging them, then probably the best disposable AA battery is the Engrgiser Lithium. Slightly higher voltage, longest runtime, very light weight and will operate at very low temperatures, also very expensive. HTH.

Which type of battery you choose depends on what you want to use them for. If you are going camping, then any will do really, so long as you charge them up just before you go, they wont self discharge over that short time (not by much anyway). If you are going to the Arctic though, then maybe lithiums because they operate well in cold conditions. If they are for a radio that sits on a shelf and doesnt get used much, then regular eneloops are a good choice. If they are for powerful torches, then eneloops are well suited to high drain applications, but any will do, it depends on how much you use your torch. If it's an emergency torch in your car that hardly gets used but when it does, it's for a long time, then eneloop XX might be a good option. If you use the torch every day, then regular rechargeables would be best.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for that mate, the penny's just dropped

Just going back to your BC-900 review, a couple of questions... How does it refresh dead batteries? Does that mean you never have to buy any more batteries ever again? :) Do you need to discharge decent batts every time they need charging? Say you've been out for three or four days, your batts are half dead when you get back, if you want them topped up again for the next trip do you need to discharge them?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks for that mate, the penny's just dropped

Just going back to your BC-900 review, a couple of questions... How does it refresh dead batteries? Does that mean you never have to buy any more batteries ever again? :) Do you need to discharge decent batts every time they need charging? Say you've been out for three or four days, your batts are half dead when you get back, if you want them topped up again for the next trip do you need to discharge them?

A lot of the time, dead batteries are just vthe result of topping them up before they have fully discharged. We all do it, but batteries dont like it and develop a memory - the capacity is reduced. This constant topping up can eventually result in a battery that doesnt seem to hold a charge at all. The BC-900 will fully drain, then fiully recharge, then fully drain then fully recharge a battery if you ask it to. This drain-charge-drain-charge cycle is often all that is needed to remove the memory effect and restore a battery to full health. The battery is still limited to it's normal lifespan, so no it wont keep them going forever. But often they die because of how we use them, not because they have reached the end of their natural life. Cheap "fast" chargers are particularly bad for this. Batteries like to be slow charged (or slow-ish). I think the BC-900 takes about 3 days to complete all the charge-discharge cycles in refresh mode. The BC-900 is a bit of a geeks toy to be honest. It's a good charger, no question, but it's going to be of most interest to people who have a lot of electronic devices and are a bit anal about getting the most from their batteries.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Oh, forgot, no you dont need to discharge before recharge. Only really if you want to optimise your batteries or you think you have a bad one that would benefit from a refresh. Otherwise, just select a charge mode. The BC-900 will charge at different rates. The fastest is 1800mA, which means it would charge a 2000mAh battery in about 1 hr 10 mins. Slowest rate is 500mA, which would charge the same battery in 4 hrs. There are 4 bays and you can select different charge modes and rates for each bay. HTH.

Last edited:

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I'm just looking around and have found the "C-9000" as a competitor to the "BC-900", anyone shed any light on whether it's worth the extra tenner? I can get anal about squeezing the last life out of my batts at times.. :cool:

EDIT - Just found the CPF thread, still none the wiser though..

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That is the one I have Smith28. http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=423

A very good charger like Martyn's but with some differences. I believe the BC-900 has a charge limit of 1800mA whereas the C-9000 has a 2000mA limit. Also the 9000 has a break in mode for new batteries where you enter the batteries capacity and it will automatically charge/discharge to 'form' them properly however this takes about 30 hours to complete!

Both are really good chargers.

Also for Shewie, another thing to remember about batteries is the NIMH are ideal for high drain devices whereas disposable Alkaline's should be avoided as they can leak or swell if drained too quickly. Alkaline's also 'sag' under load bringing the voltage to about the same as NIMH batteries which is why you can use the lower voltage re-chargeable's in place of the higher voltage primaries.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE