Recent Spoons (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Finally got my tech head on to do the simple job of uploading some pics. All the spoons (and the spatula) here were made from quite dry wood, had the heck sanded out of them and were oiled with olive oil. Usability is something that happens by accident when I'm making a spoon, as you can see. You'll also see that I'm no photographer.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Ahh, ickle baby spoon. This pair are sycamore. The baby spoon became a lot shallower after I put a big ding in the rim of the bowl:confused:.

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

These are beech. They don't excite me, but...

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

OK, this was an attempt to carve a bit of seasoned oak. Obviously, I was aiming not to do too much to it, but I still like the way it ended up. A bit rough in the bowl, but what the heck.

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Beech again. I admit that I am almost completely pleased with this one. Unfortunately, I had a lot of trouble with fibres lifting while doing the bowl and never managed to get the same finish as on the rest of the spoon. A lack of patience, mainly.

Thanks for looking. I think I'm going to do a bit of non-spoon stuff next, just for a change.

Cheers,
Leif

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Some nice spoons there, Leif. Like you, I often let form take precedence over function........I've got all the "working" spoons I need and like to let the wood tell me what it wants to be these days.....atb mac

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Here are a few more pics. Bit more detail.

The larger of the sycamore spoons. DSC00033.jpg

That little nubbin of oak. DSC00035.jpg

The spalted beech. DSC00038.jpg DSC00034.jpg

Cheers,
Leif

Attachments

• DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
That spalted beech has good colours! I like the off-centered spoon. It`s a fun idea that I might wanna borrow :).

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Thanks for the comments, guys. Taking a short break from spoons to try out a couple of bigger things. Ironically, after saying in a post a few days ago that I didn't think it was necessary to de-point Mora 164's, I cut myself twice today - first time in ages. But it was with my 163, so it doesn't count... obviously:p.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE