reasonable multi-tool

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
When you need to rely on a tool, ensure that you have a tool that you can rely on!

This is the reason that I use the Leatherman Super Tool, Crunch and Micra (SAK Swiss Champ too) if you use a tool, the consequences of the tool failing may be incomplete repairs, and damage or injury sustained during sudden tool failure.

Leatherman Tools are inexpensive, given their quality and warranty, however, if funds cannot stretch, there are full size multi-tools from recognized manufacturers for as little as £2:99, the simple fact is that a £3 tool cannot be produced and sold with the same quality as a Leatherman, Gerber or Swiss Tool.

Best prices for Leatherman, Gerber and Victorinox multi-tools is this
HTML:
this
company, whom I've bought from with very good service.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks helixpteron, I looked at the company you suggested, and sure enough, there it was, the Leatherman, Crunch. It is the one with the vise-grip jaws, that I was referring to in my post above. Apparently, you have one, so give us your opinion of the Crunch. I been thinking about getting one even though I have a new Gerber.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Having wanted a Crunch for a number of years, I was delighted to finally buy one, and to be honest, I'm extremely impressed.

The design, materials and construction are superb, its a masterpiece of functionality and strength.

To have engineered the amount and type of tools in addition to the locking grips into such a small and light package is remarkable.

Given the service use my original PST gave me, and the high demands fulfilled by my Supertool, which replaced the PST (which I gave away when I got the Supertool) I don't doubt that the Crunch will meet and exceed the 25 year warranty without missing a beat.

If, as I do, you need a belt worn tool which has locking grip capability, built to a standard which you'd trust your safety to, the Leatherman Crunch is unrivalled!
happy0034.gif

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Serrated blade (fixable, but still a minus IMNSHO) and no can opener, other than that it looks like a good basic tool.

The Crunch is designed to fulfill a specific role, one which utilizes four screwdrivers, two cutters, two files, wire stripper, hex bit driver, serrated knife, bottle opener, ruler, and the locking grip pliers. Its got a lanyard ring too.

It does not appear to be aimed at the buyer whom would expect to open cans with it, Leatherman market other multi-tools which have that capacity.

Basic is not a term which I would apply to a tool with the capability of the Crunch.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Crunch is designed to fulfill a specific role, one which utilizes four screwdrivers, two cutters, two files, wire stripper, hex bit driver, serrated knife, bottle opener, ruler, and the locking grip pliers. Its got a lanyard ring too.

What is the specific role that is so special that alternate knife-blades are totally out of the question?

Personally I would love a lanyard ring if I was clambering around in the rigging of a sailboat, but not while out in the bush, but to each his own. The vice-grip pliers are a great addition to the multitool ecosystem, and the way to tuck away the bit holder is rather clever (even if it presumably disables the pliers a bit when you use it). But if I look at the tools on my multitool (SwissTool), the ones I use most are the knife, various screwdrivers, can opener, saw, awl, file. In that order. So I find it a perfectly valid critizism to note the lack of can opener and the (for fine cutting) inferior blade design. Others use their tools in diifferent ways, and I have no problem with that, one ofmthe great things about free markets is that customers often have the option of more than one product.

As an aside, I've spent some time thinking about pocket tools (multitools, SAKs, etc) and what I actually find usefull in them. I actually suspect that for me the ideal combination would be one of the locking SAKs, a small vice-grip and the bit-set from a SwissTool. Maybe I'll make a belt-case for that combo and see how it compares to the SwissTool.

It does not appear to be aimed at the buyer whom would expect to open cans with it, Leatherman market other multi-tools which have that capacity.

Basic is not a term which I would apply to a tool with the capability of the Crunch.

Actually I would. Not basic as in "costs UKP 2.99 at Lidl this week", but basic as in "no frills, not a huge selection of tools". Saw? Scissors? Awl?

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi Smavell,

Dont know if your still looking for a multi-tool but this weeks Auto Express car mag have just done a review of about 12. Might be worth visiting your local WHSmiths for a quickie read up?

ATB, Jon.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I probably currently own 20 or more multitools including the first leatherman, but the only one I carry EDC is the Victorinox Spirit, and I've carried it now for nearly 4 years. Great blend of size, weight, ergonomics, and functionality. I'd buy a better one if it was out there but I haven't found it. At least, better for me. ;)

spirit2b.jpg

spirit3b.jpg

Might be illegal over there cuz all the tools lock, including the knife blade.

pwb

I saw the benefit of a pair of pliers at the last meet.

I'm not after some Swiss Army pliers, but I do see the benefit of a pliers based multi-tool.

Any recommendation for one that does not cost a fortune?

Having used the original Leatherman for years I highly recommend them.

Here's a great deal I found on a used PST ,now discontinued by Leatherman I believe.

http://www.swissknifeandtool.co.uk/product.php?productid=16627&cat=530&page=1

No connection with the company , just a happy customer.

Pete.

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
Don't go too cheap as i've snapped two multitools now using them. i've now got a leatherman wave and i love it it's got good blades and very strong

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
A cautionary tale: Early this winter, the temperature was extremely cold, it was snowing and I decided that I needed to put my Toyota Tacoma pickup into 4-wheel drive. It has the old school, you-get-out-and-turn-the-front-hubs-yourself setup. Since there was ice coating the hubs, I got out with my Gerber multitool (a very early one). It was very well made, and very tough looking. Although, I had had it for many years, it looked almost new. I put the pliers on the icy hub and attempted to turn it. It didn't want to turn. I used a bit more pressure - - but nothing excessive, and one of the jaws of the pliers snapped completely in two.

I still do not understand how this happened. Gerber replaced them at no charge to me with what appears to be an even bettered engineered pair. I like them a lot, but every time I use them, I wonder . . . .

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A cautionary tale: Early this winter, the temperature was extremely cold, it was snowing and I decided that I needed to put my Toyota Tacoma pickup into 4-wheel drive. It has the old school, you-get-out-and-turn-the-front-hubs-yourself setup. Since there was ice coating the hubs, I got out with my Gerber multitool (a very early one). It was very well made, and very tough looking. Although, I had had it for many years, it looked almost new. I put the pliers on the icy hub and attempted to turn it. It didn't want to turn. I used a bit more pressure - - but nothing excessive, and one of the jaws of the pliers snapped completely in two.

I still do not understand how this happened. Gerber replaced them at no charge to me with what appears to be an even bettered engineered pair. I like them a lot, but every time I use them, I wonder . . . .

That's not the first Gerber I've heard that did that. In fact, I've heard many similar stories and seen it a time or two myself. I'm not a Gerber multitool fan and never have been. SOG, Leatherman, and Victorinox I generally trust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE