Real seam tape vs painted-on sealant?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all, my bivi bag has a couple of loose strips of seam tape so I'm just wondering weather to buy the 3-layer seam tape or the "liquid" stuff you can get in a tube that is simply painted with a brush all the way down the seam then left for 24 hours to dry, resulting in a sealed seam.

Which method results in the longer lasting repair? I'm hoping the liquid sealant is the better of the two because the seam tape sounds like a right fiddly pain in the **** to do!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I mix regular bathroom silicone with white spirits, paint it on and then leave to dry overnight. Mask the edges if you want a tidy finish.

I've only used tape once on the floor of an old Kyham tent, it only lasted a few weeks before peeling off again

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I mix regular bathroom silicone with white spirits, paint it on and then leave to dry overnight. Mask the edges if you want a tidy finish.

I've only used tape once on the floor of an old Kyham tent, it only lasted a few weeks before peeling off again

Mornin Shewie, is there.a ratio ? I'm in same predicament as op. Seal or buy another. Then use the old one for a couple of ideas I have ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not sure of the ratio but it goes on better the runnier it is, I just mix it up until it's a runny liquid and runs off the brush.

If it's too thick it won't soak into the fabric and will just dry on the top, peeling off in no time.

Try 3 parts white spirits to 1 silicone, that should be about right

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The tape is a pain in the situpon to apply without the right tools :sigh: It's easy in the factory but not so simple at home.
Basically it needs a really hot hair dryer focused on it and then loads of pressure as it cools. I've used the iron before but it's too blooming awkward.

Use the seam sealer but check the underlying stitching 'first', and reinforce if it looks at all slack or dodgy. You can also add a strip of bandage (or sniper tape :) ) and then seam seal both under and over that, for extra security on canvas and such like. If it's on something good and made of goretex, it's best to use the real tape and seam sealer too.

Interested in the silicon/white spirits mix Shewie :D does it leave a mess ? i.e. can I use it at the back neck of a goretex jacket if I use clear silicon ?

cheers,
M

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm not sure of the ratio but it goes on better the runnier it is, I just mix it up until it's a runny liquid and runs off the brush.

If it's too thick it won't soak into the fabric and will just dry on the top, peeling off in no time.

Try 3 parts white spirits to 1 silicone, that should be about right

I thank you :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Mcnett seamgrip is fantastic stuff IME. The bond strength and toughness is excellent on fabrics that dont contain silicone.

I now always carry a small amount in the first aid kit for repairs.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Kifaru recommend the bathroom silicone/white spirit mix. Get it to a slurry consistency, and put it on with a cheap stiff paintbrush, sort of prodding it in. Think there's a video of it somewhere on youtube - I'll try to find it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interested in the silicon/white spirits mix Shewie :D does it leave a mess ? i.e. can I use it at the back neck of a goretex jacket if I use clear silicon ?

cheers,
M

I've not tried this method on clothing Mary but I think it will work fine, just make sure the mix is runny and it'll soak in better.

I bought a secondhand fancy hiking tarp off another forum and the guy had literally layered silicone all down the seams, I ran my thumb down it and it all peeled straight off. I'll get round to finishing it off one day but I reckon I can half the weight of the tarp once it's all off.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Thanks for all the info guys. This video shows a man using a huge £22 tube of McNett Seam Grip, so it's nice to know I can make some myself from sillicone and white spirits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doJ92EgTN4

The question still stands though, which method produces the longest-term repair? Does the sillicone/spirit method dry, crack and flake off fairly quick compared to tape?
Also would using tape AND the sealer paste be a good idea?

Anyhow I ordered 10 meters of 3-layer white tape from https://www.profabrics.co.uk/snap_s...x=Accessories>>Seam Sealing and Waterproofing so will give the tape a go and use the sillicone/spirit mix to really get in the corners of the bag where it would be a pig to seal some in to. I may paint over the tape with the stuff for extra strength?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Again, Kifaru recommend the silicon/white spirit solution as the best method they've tried, and they appear to have tried the lot over the years if you go through their website and forums.. Considering their reputation - and the extraordinary prices their kit goes for - I'd stick with that for the time being (if you'll pardon the pun!)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Looked at the video lub0 posted. Interesting that he has the tent seam flat on the floor, using masking tape to delineate the seam. Looks like a nifty idea. BUT - going back to kifaru again, they recommend that the tent/tipi is erected as taut as you can get it before seam-sealing. I'm assuming that this is to ensure that the fabric and seam is fully stretched, so that a) the sealant can get into the stitching at full extension/stretch, and b) that if the seam is sealed when under no pressure/tension, when it is erect and under tension, any sealant would crack/pull apart. Water will then get in underneath and the sealant would then start to detach.

I may be completely wrong about that, but it seems logical!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE