Real Beer, or Ale as it where...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Matthew Pearce

I usually drink and new ale I can get my hands on but if I had to choose one it would Badgers golden glory its delish has a floral peach taste, sound girly but it is good, All of the ones mentioned below are good beers and ales, saying that i've tried them all makes me suddenly feel lke an alcoholic.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
All the Wychwood beers are gorgeous. Also we have a micro brewery near us called Purple Moose Brewery. Their Dark Side of the Moose is fantastic. They are fairly local but you might be able to find it as far down as you in mid wales.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
! I may have to cruse the ale section tomorrow and work my way through some of these suggestions LOL!.

Dont just work you way through the suggestions, just work your way through every ale they stock, then find somewhere else with a different selection!!! By the time your work your way through all your local ale stockists and get back to point A, they might have new stock!

For my 2pence worth I thoroughly agree with Doombar, Badgers Golden Glory (particularly on a hot summers day), Harvestons Schiehallion Lager and Marestons Old Empire IPA are amongst some of my favourites.

I plan to brew my own IPA as Chris does when I can afford the brewing kit and a pressurized keg thingy. Mates dad had some at Christmas, tasted amazing!!!!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Some good suggestions so far, but a notable exception would be any of the Gales ales - very good!

I do find that my taste varies throughout the year - preferring lighter or honey'd ales in the summer and heavier richer brews for wintertime.

ATB

Ogri the trog

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
its gotta be the homemade black stuff.slurp slurp slurpity slurp ! ye just hoy the pints doon yer throat on a hot day !
it has to be cool not chilled straight from a pantry or such !
cheers andrew.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Dont just work you way through the suggestions, just work your way through every ale they stock, then find somewhere else with a different selection!!! By the time your work your way through all your local ale stockists and get back to point A, they might have new stock!

For my 2pence worth I thoroughly agree with Doombar, Badgers Golden Glory (particularly on a hot summers day), Harvestons Schiehallion Lager and Marestons Old Empire IPA are amongst some of my favourites.

I plan to brew my own IPA as Chris does when I can afford the brewing kit and a pressurized keg thingy. Mates dad had some at Christmas, tasted amazing!!!!

you can buy the whole kit online for around £60, i did and allways have a barrel full conditioning and another 40 pint fermenting at all times.lol

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Pick up a copy of the Good Beer Guide, will give you loads of pointers for decent beer in your area. We used to drink Felinfoel double dragon or Buckleys , out in West Wales.
Off the shelf or on tap my favourites are Fullers London Pride, ESB or Morlands Old Speckled Hen. 6X is a good pint as is Pedigree. Others you can get bottled King & Barnes ales etc. These are a few of my fav's...
Cheers
Gareth
PS: One of the things I really miss about the UK is the good beer. Guess we have red wine here though.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!

That looks like an excellent idea~ judging by the sheer volume of good suggestions! Some of which I plan to hunt down after work...

The Good Beer Guide is also something that had not crossed my mind. Timothy Taylor's Landlord is something I have tried a while ago, again it was a very pleasant pint, or two!

Regards, al.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If you can find it Batemans XXXB is really good, as is Jenning Sneck-lifter, tanglefoot was on offer in tesco and there's always good old Greene King for IPA or Abbot if you dare!
Oh, and woodfordes wherry, but not sure if that's available in bottles. And how could I forget Adnams, all of their range is lovely!

Dave

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
All the Badgers beers I've tried are excellent. My fav from them is 'Poachers choice'. I often try new beers based on their name, never failed me yet!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well, I just discovered that Kingstone Micro-Brewery is just up the road, In my fave part of the world... The lower reaches of the Wye Valley.

The range looks superb, so I might take a ganders up after work for a tasting :)
They also do a brewing day with breakfast, lunch (plus a few pints) and a 5 litre keg thrown in which sounds a fantastic day out!
(no connections ect. didn't realise it existed)
So, I might book in for one soon'ish.

I'll cruise Sainbury's on the way home with a few notes from above. God I love friday's.

al.

Last edited:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
As someone has already said , I could be typing all night .
But you can't go wrong with anything by Black Sheep or Badger ( If it's hot and you don't fancy a cider then Blandford fly is great ) .
Try Asda , they carry a decent range and always have 5-6 ales at 3 for £4 ( A while ago they had a load at £1 so I filled a trolley , sadly all gone now but it was a great couple of weeks )
Cheers , Trev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE