Real Beer, or Ale as it where...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Waggle Dance was nice and light, Sainbury's Kentish (brewed by neame) was also pretty good, but black sheep ale really stood out, as did bishops finger last night as something special (by my taste buds anyway's)

I have another 4 to try tonight, how far I will get is another story!

al.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Fullers 1845 yet - possibly the best bottled beer I've ever tasted from a major brewer.

I second the Badger Golden Glory, too.

Did anyone here ever try the (sadly defunct) Thomas Hardy's Ale? That was some amazing stuff.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, I just discovered that Kingstone Micro-Brewery is just up the road, In my fave part of the world... The lower reaches of the Wye Valley.

The range looks superb, so I might take a ganders up after work for a tasting :)
They also do a brewing day with breakfast, lunch (plus a few pints) and a 5 litre keg thrown in which sounds a fantastic day out!
(no connections ect. didn't realise it existed)
So, I might book in for one soon'ish.

I'll cruise Sainbury's on the way home with a few notes from above. God I love friday's.

al.

Kingstones are excellent. Try the Mother Goose ale if you can get it, and Humpty-Dumpty's Downfall. Both excellent, but Mother Goose is possibly my favourite beer.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well for me the best real ale is a local one in a pub where the landlord knows how to keep it.
For me Farmers Brewery in Bradfield or Kelham Island Brewery both have superb beers. The other top tip is if you want good beer at a good price buy a barrel from the brewery, £70 for 72 pints, get a bunch of mates round and it soon goes. We have a sort of informal beer appreciation club in the village where we take it in turns to buy the barrel. Which reminds me there is a barrel of farmers blonde on the go tonight.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Didn't make it up to Kingstones in the end bud... But its on the cards for next Friday!

Sampling spitfire now, really refreshing, Just joined my top 3 :)

Regards, al.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well for me the best real ale is a local one in a pub where the landlord knows how to keep it.
For me Farmers Brewery in Bradfield or Kelham Island Brewery both have superb beers. The other top tip is if you want good beer at a good price buy a barrel from the brewery, £70 for 72 pints, get a bunch of mates round and it soon goes. We have a sort of informal beer appreciation club in the village where we take it in turns to buy the barrel. Which reminds me there is a barrel of farmers blonde on the go tonight.

That reminds me of a local chess tournament. Every year a few of the players in the local league buy a barrel of beer and play an all-play-all tournament, with the extra stipulation that you cannot win a game or offer a draw until you have finished your pint. If an offered draw is declined, both players get a fresh pint which must be finished before the end of the game.

The standard of play isn't very good, especially in the later rounds, but it uses up a barrel of beer.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well, for what its worth... My top 5 so far.

1~Badger Golden Champion (I'm sipping now) Superb!
2~Black Sheep Ale
3~Spitfire
4~Bishops Finger (tough call between 3-4th place)
5~Waggle

My tastes seem to going more towards the heavy/rich stuff (kind-of) but I can honestly say, its all been pretty fantastic so far :p

al.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I tend to prefer porters and stouts myself but I also love a Badger Golden Glory as many have mentioned. So many options and like your good self I prefer to bung them in the freezer first for at least a half hour. My mate reckons I'm a heathen for this, I think he's just boring for following somebody else's rules. A Salute, na zdrowie, chin chin and all that good stuff...

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
My current favourites are Black Gold and Broughton's Old Jock ale. Not sure if you'll get them locally in wales though, can get them in tesco up here.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
That reminds me of a local chess tournament. Every year a few of the players in the local league buy a barrel of beer and play an all-play-all tournament, with the extra stipulation that you cannot win a game or offer a draw until you have finished your pint. If an offered draw is declined, both players get a fresh pint which must be finished before the end of the game.

The standard of play isn't very good, especially in the later rounds, but it uses up a barrel of beer.

Sounds like my sort of game :)

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Homebrew for me.

Currently supping a Munton's wheat beer - not bad at all, thanks.

Fave is Cooper's IPA.

Hombrew works out at 50p a pint....

Cheers

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
waggle dance is lovely, also the Batemans seasonal beers (summer swallow, autumn fall and the other 2 which i forget)

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
hi all
i have a hobgoblin t shirt that reads" whats the matter lagerboy,scared you might taste something?" says it all really.emma d beer girl very good.i can reccommend sharps betty stoggs,speckled hen as what i'm quaffing now.hobgoblin is the nuts,sweet and chocolatly.theakstons old peculuar,abbot ale,i make beer and can go for the woodfored ales,nog,headcracker,nelsons revenge.i'll shut up now before your eyes start to bleed as real beer is a passion. i'll leave with this,my local micro has a brew called old letch!

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Some good suggestions here already. I don't think I saw Badger Brewery's POACHERS CHOICE; a really smooth, dark ale with a strong fruity taste from the damsons. It's pretty hard to find in pubs but definitely well well worth the hunt.

3537670753_c73d78bb8e.jpg

Also if you are ever in Northampton, The Malt Shovel is definitely worth checking out. It's a pub that pretty much only sells ales and has an extensive range to the point it warrants a menu! Real nice folks in there too.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Batemans dark lord is a good one, as already said anything wychwood, if you are feeling like something strong then Marston's owd roger is a favourite of mine they also do an indian pale ale called old empire which is quite nice.

I hope you have as much fun trying them as I did finding them.

Steve

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Batemans dark lord is a good one, as already said anything wychwood, if you are feeling like something strong then Marston's owd roger is a favourite of mine they also do an indian pale ale called old empire which is quite nice.

I hope you have as much fun trying them as I did finding them.

Steve

Yea Batemans is a good ale. I like the artwork for the labels for that brewery!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE