Ready Meal Reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That made me chuckle!

Thanks very much for the review, but I don't know how anyone can make treacle pud without making at least a pint of custard!

I know what you mean about the custard; I can feel a pack of Ambrosia Devon Cream going onto my kit list...

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If you are heating ration pack or LWWF type pouches in a pan of boiling water then you can also throw in boil in the bag rice or pasta. They all take about 10 minutes to heat/cook and you then have a much more substantial meal.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
How many grams is the chili con carne?

Good question. I dug the wrapper out of the bin but there was no weight marked on it.
I looked at the other two main meals and one was 300g and the other was 315g. I would guess that the chile is therefore close to 315g.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As a final service, and in the interests of giving you the full story I can report that the chile has lived up to expectations. Some 5 hours after eating it there is still the odd "Blazing Saddles" moment...

Just thought y'all would like to know.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Anyone made an omlette with ham n cheese in a seal bag then boiled ,also can anyone recomend good cheap reseal type bags that would take cheaper tinned foods ? To boil .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Anyone made an omlette with ham n cheese in a seal bag then boiled ,also can anyone recomend good cheap reseal type bags that would take cheaper tinned foods ? To boil .

Lakeland do boil-a-bags but they don't have any closure, I use those twisty things or bag clips

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I make up my own chilli packs. Zip lock bag filled with dried soy mince and chilli powder mix. Another zippy with some kidney beans in it. 15 mins on the stove and a fully and yummy meal :D Takes up no space and virtually no prep needed. Also no nasty can to cart around with you, although I have some mean zip lock bags which I am emptying some canned mince n onions into for my next trip to see if it works out K.

Just wish I could do the same with beer :D No one invented powdered beer yet? :/

if you want a nice chilli try the lidl ones in the large cans ,if they did these in pouches they would be perfect

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
No pics this time but last night I demolished the Wayfayrer beans and potato.

I am definitely leaning towards taking their stuff with me in July because their range offers the kind of stuff I like to eat i.e. unsophisticated.

Anyway, again I have to report that the Wayfayrer meal was very tasty, and when accompanied by another wholemeal pitta (no prep needed and already flat-packed!) it did the job nicely.

Meatballs and pasta next on the list I think.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Don't dismiss Rat Packs. They are cheaper that the mainstream wet meal providers, yet are made by some of them, taste good with some "interesting" courses/desserts but are very filling and versatile. They do NOT cause you to lose control of your bowels!

What he said.

If you find the right place,you can get them for a great price.I use them a lot,and they are better now than they have ever been.
Even if you have to pay the regular price of about £12, (for a whole rat pack) they are the best value meals around.End of.

Oatso for brekkers,with a dash of fruit.
Light lunch of bits and pieces (biscuits-fruit/biscuits brown/water/fruit
Evening meal Main course rat-pack. Cup of coffee.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I know what you mean about the custard; I can feel a pack of Ambrosia Devon Cream going onto my kit list...

Best idea I've heard in a long time.

I've not had any of these meals. I did buy some dehydrated stuff a while back but I wasn't impressed at all tbh.

The army rat pack stuff has always been pretty good for me. Especially their newer meals which are very nice.

I've always wanted to try the Norwegian rat packs personally.

Andy

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I agree, but in this age of health & safety you got to cover your bum, somebody has a can explode and you get sued lol.

When we used to get tins in the old ration packs, they tended to be heated directly on top of the hexy burners without piercing. You put a dent into the side of it with your boot, and occaisionaly gave it a good shake mid heat. The idea being that the dent popping out gave you fair prior warning of the tin exploding. Used to work quite well until your harbour got bumped and you stood to forgetting to kick the tin off your burner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE