Re proofing old tent base

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was recently given an old 2 man tent, it is in great condition apart from the waterproof base, which isn't any more as water seeps through over night. What can be done about it? would a solution of silicone mastic and white spirit work?

Cheers

Chris

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
You could try the paint often used to paint inflatable 'rubber' dinghies, it's usually available in yacht chandlers. It is flexible and waterproof and may be the simplest method of renovating the tent floor. Failing that a relatively cheap polytarp groundsheet of the required size could be used to completely replace the tent floor if you have a sewing machine or know someone who has...:D

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I must admit I hadn't even thought about making a new bottom for it

It's the ideal practice piece; it's something that needs doing rather than making drawstring bags an WHY just for the hell of it. It will present you with some challenges one way or another. It's an old tent and it's yours, so it ain't the end of the world if you make an oblox of it. Ther's every possibilty you'll end up with something worth having.

What's not to like?

Go for it!

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE