Re-Hanging an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Looks like I'm going to have to re-hang my axe, so this tutorial has come at a very opportune time. Annoying, as I'd managed to get it sharp enough to shave my arm earlier this week! Broke the handle today chopping some wood up the garden. Any suggestions where would I get a replacement handle and wedges from?

Thanks

Geoff

axe_01.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most local hardware stores keep them round here - pretty variable quality though - you need to pick them over some. Wedges are more tricky - wooden ones are easy of course (make your own). Metal ones (especially the No 1 size) are ahrder - I found a place recently that had loads (and bought them all) :eek:

There are online places that sell helves - they are sold by eye size as well as helve length btw

Red

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Number 1 wedges are hard to find. If you really can't find them locally I can get some from work. They come in a mixed pack (only one No1:rolleyes: ). £1.09 plus whatever the postage is.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Been Googling around - plenty of places that supply handles, but the original handle was approx 20" long with a 2" eye. Nowhere seems to do 20" handles, and the smaller lengths don't specify an eye size. Would 2" be a standard for the shorter handles? I wonder what would be suitable replacement handle length (online places only seem to have 12, 16, 18 and 24). Would a No 1 wedge be appropriate for a 2" eye?

Plenty of online places supply hammer wedges, including Size 1, but they tend to come in packs of 100!

Geoff

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Geoff,

I would check on the eye sizes - they do vary. a No 1 is okay as a support for a wooden wedge - a small ring wedge (as used by Cegga and Wetterlings) works well too,

I can let you have a couple of No. 1s gratis if you like Geoff - just send me your address

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I can let you have a couple of No. 1s gratis if you like Geoff - just send me your address

Red

Once again, the members of this forum demonstrate their generosity - many thanks for the wedges, which arrived today. Just trying now to get my local hardware shop to find me a suitable replacement handle.

It's s 2lb Sandvik axe head (I mainly use it for small scale splitting for firewood /kindling), originally mounted on a 20" handle. I haven't been able to find replacement Sandvik handles, but the local shop seem to be able to get Faithfull ones, though not at the same length. A 24" handle would seem too long, but the next one down that they seem to be able to get is 16", which may work. Obviously I also need to check the eye fitting.

Failing that, I guess a bit of hickory (or ash?) from the local timber yard and some carving...

Geoff

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No probs Geoff,

In my view a 24" could be quite interesting - but might make it too long to take out and about. 18" is a standard length and someone should have one that length

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE