Razor Clams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
For tidal prediction try here easytide.ukho.gov.uk for free six day tides around the world. You just have to type in your country,then the nearest harbour to the area you want. I used it many times when going sea fishing, good to have when your seventy miles to the nearest beach. You can also print off the six day prediction.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
thanks all!!

When I get back from my hols am gonna go for attempt number two!!

Will let you know how I get on!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
When we dug fopr clams in Oregon, we used a short handled shovel with a long narrow blade - much like shovels used for digging a trench for a pipe or electrical service. If you didn't get the clam after two shovelfuls - it was gone.

PG

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Mate if you want to collect razors go on the lowest tide of the year, normally around 21st march. It is the only one time I go each year.
Even on the lowest tide of the year the level of the sea might not drop back far enough. The wind direction and state of the sea will contribute to the levels

If you wash out and catch nothing don’t be put off it is a hit and miss thing. Out of the six years I have been doing the lowest tide. I have had two wash outs, three hunts that made it worth going and one amazing year. Coincidently the first year, which got me hooked. The tide retreated so far that dog fish were getting beached. Big cockles much bigger than your normal cockle were popping out the sand all around. We had enough to fill an onion sack on hughe cockles alone.

There is another very low tide mid September which I have gone a few times but I have not had much luck. The tide never retreated that well.

You have got to approach the holes without stamping too much as they dive, making them harder to retrieve.
People walking the shore line before you will make your life much harder. If you disturb them you will be able to see water push out of the hole sometimes shooting up a couple of inches.

I salt mine out. I walk about 10- 15 meters at a time salting holes then just pop back and get the ones, which have popped up.
Watch out for sneaky seagulls and don’t take the dog as she will make all the razors dive.

Den

Oct 26, 2008
s wales
I went looking for razor clams today, perhaps not best time of year, and there were walkers about on the beach; but many attempts to draw the clams out of the sand using salt failed.
Does anyone know how long you have to wait for clams to rise?

Also, there were 'holes' all the way up the beach, is it pointless trying the ones furthest from sea edge?

What's the average 'catch'? I poured salt down 20 or so holes before giving up...!

any other tips?

thanks

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I have tried several times on hunstanton, norfolk and blanked every time. I used salt on all occassions.

I think my problem was:
It might be better to try as the tide is going out because the beach wouldn't have been walked on and they are less likely to have burrowed.

I plan to try a hooked wire next time and stick it in the holes to see how that works. I am not keen on digging as it seems labour intensive.

At hunstanton there are plenty of mussels, cockles, I think oysters and large reddish sea snails although i do not know if they are edible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE