ray's lighting skill question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just finished watching Ray on the box (Aborigional Britain) and have a quick question for you!

toward the end where he makes the antler headdress and the rock art he lights the fire from the horse hoof fungus he is carying......however it looked to me like he was using green spagnum moss????? - surely not! - all spagnum i've seen is dripping......

watcha all reccon?

lits

Aug 16, 2005
Surrey/ Charterhouse
yes it is spagnum moss! you have to wring it out first (like a sponge). Normally i try to dry it aswell by rubbing it or tucking it in my shirt. its quite flamable !

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
really?! :D - something else i've learnt today! - will try when i'm out next!

cheers! :You_Rock_

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I also noticed that whilst watching the show with my 3 year old who is refusing to go to sleep. I've heard it burns well even if you ring it out but I've never tried it myself.

Any suggests on stopping said three year old from putting his hand on the walls and spitting at it????

:lmao:

Pib

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
pibbleb said:
I also noticed that whilst watching the show with my 3 year old who is refusing to go to sleep. I've heard it burns well even if you ring it out but I've never tried it myself.

Any suggests on stopping said three year old from putting his hand on the walls and spitting at it????

Pib

wrapping him in said spagnum and putting hime to bed???

It was mentioned that it was used to wrap precious things.......... and I would expect it to have reasonable sound deadoning properties too! :lmao:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
He's now clearing tree's in our lounge so he can hang is bed whilst tripping over my swanndri which he is wearing like a night shirt, me thinks I'm off to the woods for som moss. Top tip there cheers. :D

Pib

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
It's my guess that the moss Ray was using was actually well dried. Sphagnum moss does tend to keep a lot of it's green colour if picked and dried from living rather than gathering moss which was already dead.

The time to really worry about things is when said 3 yr old starts "re-arranging" the dining room furniture with a panga to make it more "bushcrafty", although I have heard that Ikea chair legs make excellent fuzzy sticks..... :lmao:

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
Our four year old was doing the same thing during timeouts in the corner. We put her at the kitchen table with head down. When she spit, she had to keep her face there. That was the last time she spit on the table, or anywhere else for that matter. Major at the time...today she broke the toilet. :aargh4:

lits

Aug 16, 2005
Surrey/ Charterhouse
Longstrider said:
The time to really worry about things is when said 3 yr old starts "re-arranging" the dining room furniture with a panga to make it more "bushcrafty", although I have heard that Ikea chair legs make excellent fuzzy sticks..... :lmao:
Guilty of that!! :eek:
the moss can also be used for field dressings and the like

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Funny thing is I haven't seen any moss around for a while, since I filed it away in that empty thingy called a head as 'useful must use when out!'

As for the three year he is karate kid today, think I liked him better whn he was Ray Mears doing imaginery cave art on my freshly painted walls.

Do you think kids are as easy to cook as salmon on an open fire!

Pib

S

Siecroz

The Romans used to use Spagnum on the end of a stick to wipe there bum after a No.2 .

I had no idea it could be used for fire starting... I missed that episode... Does it light from a Fire Steel??

My 4 year old's latest trick is to dangle the toilet roll into the pan, then flush the toilet and

WOOSH!!! giggle as the toilet roll spins on the holder, all the toilet roll disaperes down the loo and the water starts to rise...

I found it hard to tell him off as I thought it was quite an ingenious feat of engineering for a 4 year old!! But the missus was not impressed when she had to use kitchen roll.

Ah well... time for the Doc leaves

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
i believe ray mentioned sphagnom moss being used in field dressings in both world wars becouse it is so absorbent,,,,,,,,,,,what he didnt say was that this stuff, wrapped in a loose weave cotton bandage makes fantastic tinder,

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Siecroz said:
The Romans used to use Spagnum on the end of a stick to wipe there bum after a No.2 .

I had no idea it could be used for fire starting... I missed that episode... Does it light from a Fire Steel??

My 4 year old's latest trick is to dangle the toilet roll into the pan, then flush the toilet and

WOOSH!!! giggle as the toilet roll spins on the holder, all the toilet roll disaperes down the loo and the water starts to rise...

I found it hard to tell him off as I thought it was quite an ingenious feat of engineering for a 4 year old!! But the missus was not impressed when she had to use kitchen roll.

Ah well... time for the Doc leaves

Genius!! :lmao: :lmao: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE