Ray on 'Something for the Weekend' today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Just seen Ray on BBC 2's 'Something for the Weekend' examing a range of gadgets. He was wearing a delightful bright purple shirt. He's really increasing his TV presence with the advent of his new series, good for him, it may create a better awareness to the general public.

panopticon

Dec 17, 2006
Falkirk, Scotland
Guess that covers the TV appearance he mentioned on the radio!

Was he just talking about the usual?

I'm glad to see more of Ray, he was missing from our screens last year :(

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
highly amusing.....

"Would you use this knife Ray?".....(horrible lock knife/torch/fireflash combo £35)

"No, i reckon i could break it with my bare hands if i bent it enough" :lmao:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
he's fair getting about right enough. i wonder what he's going to appear on next, big brother perhaps, or i'm a celebrity get me out of here???
:)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
He was on the 'Wright Stuff' the other morning. I was quite impressed with stuff he was saying about crime, punishment and what's wrong with our youth culture today. Down to earth common sense.

Eric

hiroo onoda

Jan 12, 2007
cornwall
Sounds wise. shame most of the youth demographic tuned out when he said how much he enjoyed the music of take that on radio 1 last week.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I suspect the "promo tour" has as much to do with his contract with the BBC as it does his own personal self promotion.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC are looking at the numbers for this series and wondering whether Ray is their new David Attenborough....

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Eric_Methven said:
Basically he was saying it was down to parents to sort them out. Not just educators. He was also intimating they needed to get out and do stuff.

Eric

aye - seems fair enough to me.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
dommyracer said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC are looking at the numbers for this series and wondering whether Ray is their new David Attenborough....

Yah think?
For me this is the weakest Ray series so far.
It's even been a bit of a chore to watch to be honest, same old stuff we've seen before but with added bloke from the Open University.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
3.7m in the first week, 3.2 last week - thats a 15% share followed by a 13% share in that hour.

Like others have already said, this program isn't aimed at people 'like us', its not an instructional series on how to gather wild food. It was never going to be.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Alternatively that's a loss of 1/2m in the first week, and I'd be interested in how many of those managed to last the full hour.
If they can't hold my interest then I'm amazed people who aren't bushcrafty bother witha it at all.

bow drill

Oct 12, 2005
wales
enjoying the series myself( beats eastenders any day but so does watching paint dry) and the bloke from the uni is a wealth of infomation he was an instructor on my journey man course and helped us all a lot :You_Rock_

chris :lmao:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Lurch said:
Yah think?
It's even been a bit of a chore to watch to be honest, same old stuff we've seen before but with added bloke from the Open University.

I think the problem is not in the programmes, but in the people watching. Ray makes the subject very interesting; To most people it is a new subject. As far as I know he has not covered the hunter-gatherer point of view in any of his other programmes, not in such depth or with the help of an expert.
It is an interesting subject, however, if it is one that you have read up on or seen before, you think “Oh I know this already” and stop concentrating. So you miss the stuff that you might only half know, or in my case not know at all.
The programme from a newbie’s point of view is very interesting, my wife and daughter (who is only eight) loves the new programmes, to them the information is all new, their view is not so jaundice or offhand about new places or things that Ray is showing them.

I guess it is like this site, old-timers (not in age but in length spent on this site) have to face a computer screen peppered with new threads asking questions, questions that have already been asked countless times before. Repeatedly I’ve seen terse and somewhat blunt admonishments to “use the search function” or “check ‘these threads’ as your question have been answered about a million time”

I come to this site from a back ground of wild camping, and when I found the site I drenched myself in reading everything I could on anything. Now I am slightly more selective in what I read, however I still try and read all the new threads, even if its subject is something I am not interested in or actively disagree with (bob-cat hunting for example)
I am (but I shouldn’t be) surprised, by the amount you can learn just by reading other peoples take on things that you ‘think’ you know already. I thought I knew all about running trap-line, but clearly I didn’t as I didn’t know the distance you have to cover in some of the more southern states of the USA (in Alaska you expect a trap line to be dozens of miles long, but I thought that the rest of the USA you just set a trap in your lower 40 and Robert was your mothers brother.)

I tend to watch DVD’s more than once, I always read books more than once, and if Ray presents old facts in new ways then I am all for learning a new angle on an old subject. I’m not too big to admit learning new stuff doesn’t come easy for me, (it took me over a week to learn to drive a car) the more times and ways I am shown, the better my understanding will eventually be.

I don’t think there is much wrong with the programmes, apart from the arty flashy lights. Even if I learn only one thing from each programme it means I know five things that I never knew before.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Well I liked the last show. RAy even said something was disgusting. Never heard him say that! I'm starting to like that professor, even if it's hard to undertand him from time to time.

Michiel

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Lurch said:
If they can't hold my interest then I'm amazed people who aren't bushcrafty bother witha it at all.

It can't hold your interest because its too basic for you, and you're looking for an instructional series on wild food.

It holds the mainstream interest because its not too in depth and it tells a story.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE