Ray Mears' Wild Food (on television)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 16, 2006
Lyme Regis Dorset
I did thoroughly enjoy the program as always, but I must say it did occur to me that it might have been a good idea to attach some kind of cordage to the spear to make it easier to retrieve, especially when using it from the bank. Seemed a bit hit and miss to hope that your spear would float back to you. Maybe it was one of Rays' abbo boomerspears :lmao:

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
John Fenna said:
All other references I can find about spear fishing refer to it as hand held stabbing NOT throwing...Rays efforts may have got better results - and wrecked less gear - if he had tried this!
I have also come across archery fishing references, actually shooting an arrow from a bow with a line attached to a reel on the bowstave by the grop - has anyone tried this?
John

They had a fishing arrow with something like a rubbler flu-flu and a hole near the nock to tie in the string in quicks archery for some time.

Surprising as it is illegal...

(I didn't want to be the one to question whether the fish were actually speared but I'm glad I'm not the only one.)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a question, do you think ray actually got a fish ?
the reason i ask is because you only saw him throwing it and then a fish on the end, you didnt actually get to see the fish being hit, do you think ray wasnt good enough or he coudnt get permission ?
leon

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I did wonder whether he'd got the fish and suspect that the pressure of TV and filming may have had a factor. I don't mean from a pressure point of view but simply from a time available point of view.

My father-in-law is a staff photographer for a national newspaper and he takes photo's at staged events all of the time it's not to mislead the press or the public but to simply ensure a good story and a good picture!

If Ray hadn't 'caught' the fish then it would have been a re-write or a wasted trip, wasted budget and a need for a trip to Macdonalds, I mean I'm a big fella and if I'd been there it would have taken more than two flowers and some grass to fill me up! I'm afraid it would have to be Gordon steak for me! :D

I was surprised spear fishing illegal though does anyone know why?

P

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
John Fenna said:
All other references I can find about spear fishing refer to it as hand held stabbing NOT throwing...Rays efforts may have got better results - and wrecked less gear - if he had tried this!

That's what I meant pretty much John.

Gregorach, the cloudy water wouldn't make throwing a spear any more efficient than thrusting it (if that's what you mean :rolleyes: ) if it's milky then it's milky and both methods would be more difficult in such conditions.

Not 100% sure about why spear fishing is illegal pibbleb, but I'd say because of the cruelty factor. Impaling a fish (or any animal for that matter) through it's body is a pretty nasty way to go about things. I'd say that's why bow hunting in this country is also illegal as is spearing an animal. The animal could still run away with the arrow or spear sticking out of it and the hunter may not be able to track it or find it making a lot of suffering for the animal.
I agree about the time/schedule factor of filming though.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
That makes sense and thinking about it, it was a daft question really. I'll happily eat fish but don't or get the whole fishing thing so hanging from a hook that's sticking out of your cheek sucks to me! That said they are tasty ;)

P

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Actually thinking about it people DO go spear-gun fishing in the UK so I'm starting to wonder about the whole thing. Do you need a licence to spear-gun fish in the sea in the UK :confused: I tried to find some info on the internet but couldn't find any definitive answers or clarity. I certainly always thought using a hand held spear was illegal, but I'm having doubts now. Anyone know the actual laws rgarding all this?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
falling rain said:
[Gregorach, the cloudy water wouldn't make throwing a spear any more efficient than thrusting it (if that's what you mean :rolleyes: ) if it's milky then it's milky and both methods would be more difficult in such conditions.

No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is that milky water is lousy conditions for spearfishing by whatever method.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As for thrusting instead of throwing... It may be a common technique, but the Aboriginies of Northern Australia (ie the folks Ray said he learnt his spear fishing from) do use spear throwers.

This large Woomera (spear thrower or atlatl) was made 40-60 years ago by Aborigines in the tropical north of Australia. This type of spear thrower is often used for spear fishing and is the type that Aborigines use when they hunt sea mammals or large surface fish.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'd like to think that Ray was the kind of guy that stayed out there all day until he got a fish, and that they'd put aside time in the production schedule for him to do this - Like when he taught Ray Goodwin the bowdrill.

However, I guess if he didn't get one, then they would have had 'fake it'.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I think the thing is with the 'faking it' or not the integrity of the information is accurate and that's what's important, how they got to the point of presenting it isn't really an issue, I suspect that he is frustrated by the production contraints placed upon him.

I seem to remember him commenting on the fact that they were trying the water lilly seeds that were be furmented a week early coz the crew were going on holiday the week they should be ready!

However, the last laugh was Ray's and Gordon's I sem to remember

P

sandspec

Maker
Nov 1, 2005
Bozeat, Northants
Ray is doing a great job introducing peeps to Bushcraft but....did anyone hear him say (just before he went to the Ardeche) that there were no wild rivers in UK !!!!!! so he had to go to France
AND where was he in the canoe in UK ? it looked lovely and it would have been good to know the locations. I do think that the program is a little lightweight, but i guess that's what the TV company wanted.
A more in depth prog about ancesters way of survival which incorparated Ray Mears skills and maybe experts in flint knapping, etc would be good but i guess that would be a OU course program :eek:

sandspec

Maker
Nov 1, 2005
Bozeat, Northants
Few years ago i was lucky enough to go to OZ and spent half a day with the Abhoriginies. I was taught how to use a sling to throw a spear and they throw spears the conventiana :) l way. They are a great and mis understood people

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
sandspec said:
Ray is doing a great job introducing peeps to Bushcraft but....did anyone hear him say (just before he went to the Ardeche) that there were no wild rivers in UK !!!!!! so he had to go to France
AND where was he in the canoe in UK ? it looked lovely and it would have been good to know the locations.

There are lots of great rivers in the UK but none of them are truly wild. The trees have been cut from most of them and many have been altered to suit navigation of larger vessels.

You can still find some rivers in the north of Scotland that are now pretty wild but not in the same way as they would have been in the times Ray is talking about. Generally the landscape is more desolate with the trees having gone. In saying that there are many great tree lined lochs and rivers that offer many opportunities for a bushcrafter with a canoe. It is just not pristine wilderness.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tonight (Wednesday) @ 20:00

Episode: Summer Harvest

Ray Mears embarks on a voyage of discovery into the lost foods of Britain's Stone Age, a journey that draws on all his bushcraft skills and knowledge of ancient ways of life around the world. Hunter gatherers rely on meat more than any other food, and their lifestyle revolves around the hunt. Ray shows how many meals a single deer can provide, finds seeds that can be made into biscuits for trail snacks, and samples the flavours our ancestors may well have added in their search for new tastes.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I'm going to miss tonight's episode and I can't find a listing for a repeat at the w/e like the previous episodes. Anyone else spot one?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I really enjoyed that one, best of the series. My idea of the perfect trip!!!

I actually feel hungry after that. It must have been the venison, I could almost smell it.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Well tonights "Summer harvest" show was my most enjoyable yet, and excellent hours viewing.

Every time i see Ray cook venison on rocks in the underground ovens i'm almost left drooling and acheing to go bag a deer lol! :D

I have definately changed my opinion of Gordon as far as being "entertainment value" is concerned. He has gone from "My boring old history teacher" to "funny cult hero" status! :lmao: Theres something about him that tickles me, but his knowledge compliments Ray's knowledge extremely well.

I'm not so sure about those sorrell leaf tartlets, we all know what they looked like, then again they did sound tasty.

I think it will be a while before i can lift a bergan big enough to carry that many cooking pots, but did'nt that venison casserole look good? I'm not surprised Ray's a tubby fella, he'd give Mr Ramsey a run for his money in the kitchen i bet! :D

Great show, looking forward to the next one.

Boosh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE