Ray Mears ''Tracks'' info wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I've just gone onto Amazon books and put in the ISBN BBC 1996 ISBN 1860003257
and its come with four copies. Don't if it's the same book because it doesn't state the author. if it is the same book , ring bound , they're under a pound

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
the big problem is the minefiled of copyright on the incidental music used apparently.

BBC has a blanket agreement with the music industry allowing them use of whatever they want, as long as at least 10% of the funding for the program comes direct from the BBC.

It covers everything except international DVD releases.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I was thinking a campaign to get them to put them up online.

They are in the process of putting a lot of their back catalogue online, so a the noise wheel might get what they want quicker.

Anyone got the complete list of Episodes?

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Minotaur - both Galemys and I have posted lists of the episodes up previously. A search on 'Tracks' should yield them up (you might have to wade through the results a bit though!)

Smokoe - a fan of BB by any chance?! The books on Amazon are the 1996 'Tracks' ones (I checked the ISBN against my copy).

Bob:)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Minotaur - both Galemys and I have posted lists of the episodes up previously. A search on 'Tracks' should yield them up (you might have to wade through the results a bit though!)

Found them.

Fungi, fire and food
Fungi, fire and food - on the beach
Wood edibles
Navigation
Water
Toys
Breakfast special
Rope and rucksack
Hygiene
Bivvy boat

Birch
Fire, boots and roots
Shelter; group (debris)
Shelter; snow
Native cunning
Hot rock and ember cooking
Crossing rivers
Fungi
Canoe trip - tidal waters
Seaweed uses

Cooking fish
Cat-tail uses
Conifer uses & resin
Scottish river journey (2 episodes)
Pegs and parachutes
Fungi uses
Outdoor clothing
Autumn fruit and nuts
Hypothermia
Birch uses

Walk - Surrey
Roving
Smoking food
Beach cooking
Mountain rescue
Rescue strategy (STOP)
Tracking
Canoe trip - River wye
Flint knapping
Bark uses
Dining in style!

Thread above info comes from

Two things in regard to that thread -

1. Has anyone managed to get all of the episodes togeather?

2. Did anyone ever workout what the diffrences were between script, actual episodes and/or edits?

Also does anyone know what is the diffrence between Country Tracks, and Tracks?

I remember Country Tracks being a much longer programme. Countryfile in the week, belive it was done by same people.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Has anyone contacted the man himself to see if he has a copy of the original footage? Failing that what about the production company?

Chris

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Has anyone contacted the man himself to see if he has a copy of the original footage?

Do not think Ray would risk providing anyone a copy. if he has one. He does mention that they are not currently available on his site. Think it has to be the BBC, who will own everything.

Failing that what about the production company?

The production company I think is the BBC, Manchester or Birmingham. What we actual need is the department, and I have this feeling that it was done by the Countryfile team.

Checked the end of a Countrytracks episode, and it says BBC Birmingham.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
It would be great to get them all available, as I am not the only one who want's to see them all.

Mabey we could start a campain, Minotour, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Minotaur

Re. your two questions -

1. A couple of us have been working on this but we are still four episodes short

a. 1994 - Fungi, fire and food (first episode transmitted)
b. 1994 - Fungi, fire and food - on the beach (second)
c. 1995 - Canoe trip; tidal waters
d. 1997 - RM childhood walk in Surrey

Again, anyone who has a copy of any of these please get in touch - would love to hear from you!

Just to clear up any misgivings any Mods may have - we are well aware of the laws regarding copyrighted material and are not looking at any commercial venture here - like many on this site we just have a soft spot for RM's early TV work!!

2. Still not entirely sure of the apparent discrepancies between printed lists and actual footage.

With regard to the 'Tracks' / 'Country Tracks' confusion I'm afraid it only gets worse - some of the programmes were also released under a 'Wild Tracks' label too!

The BBC leaflets / booklets call the original programmes 'Tracks' (broadcast in 1994-7) but later re-runs of the RM segments are often called 'Country Tracks'! In addition, bits of the original programmes were re-run in 2002-3 (often including a segment by RM) as 'Country Tracks' / 'Wild Tracks' but these appear to have been (sometimes heavily) edited. I also have a feeling that some segments were run before this, sometime between 1997 and 1999 ('Wild Tracks' perhaps?), but I could be mistaken about this.

So all in all it's still a bit of a minefield. One way of clearing some of it up would be to literally sit down and scan through the relevant 'Radio Times' for 1994-7 to get each programme's details - anyone out there admit to owning backcopies?!! Or are copies archived online anywhere? Again, shout if you can help with this.

Hope that helps!

Bob:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi,I have just been watching my Video tape of Ray Mears ''Tracks'' series and the tape is in bad shape due to being slightly over watched,I wanted to know if this series is on dvd or Available for download somewhere.
Thanks

Most are on youtube, just search for ray mears tracks, you can save them with download helper addon on firfox

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE